green torch problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by marcel, 11 Jan 2010.

1. marcel

marcel

Hi All,

I have a problem with a green torch coral. I’ve had it for about two months, about three weeks ago it lost one of its heads (that’s the soft finger part) it then started loosing more heads and they were floating round in my tank. I removed the heads and placed them in my sump, if I shine a light on them the fingers start growing up so they are not dead. First I thought my water movement was to strong so I moved the coral, it did not seem to help.
    My tank is more of a test tank for testing my led lights and to see how well the corals grow under it. The light I have now give each coral the right PAR lighting for two hours every day, all the other corals seem fine so I don’t know if its a light problem. Have any of you had a similar problem? And what do I do with those heads in my sump? They don’t have any hard body they are just laying on the sand. I broke up the coral to remove the hard pieces without heads not sure if they were dead they were more white than those with heads on. Any help will be appreciated
    Marcel.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Why are you only lighting your corals for 2 hours a day?

4. Tony

Tony

Good question Viper. Are the coral heads breaking off from the calcerous skeleton

5. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

Hi Tony,
    Yes Tony. It’s more like coming loose.
    I have a motorized unit that move over my tank with led lights mounted on the railing. It’s on for 12 hours white one-direction and 12 hours night-lights back. This is all still just for testing. What I want to know if lights could be my problem? And what should I do with the heads now in my sump? Will they grow back the calcerous skeleton?

Recent Posts