Urgent help needed Green Stars Not Opening

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Dewald@Dorry, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Maybe I’m worried for nothing... My green star polyps have not opened/extended at all today. Usually when I switch on the T5's in the morning they immediately extend and open up.

Even now with my MH burning they are closed up completely.. Do I have anything to worry about or is this normal. I’ve had them for almost 2months now already and this is the first time they have done this??

All my other corals, mushrooms, Zoa's, fish are perfectly normal and healthy.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Tiger

Have you tested your water parameters?

it is a bit funny that they haven't opened like always, perhaps try increase the water flow on them?

maybe they just having a bad day?

4. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

Ok, i'll try that.

5. Yuri

Yuri

is this problem not related to your salinity problem

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

check ph, other problem would be dwarf angels if you have any

7. Dewald@Dorry

I don't think so. I have corrected this some time ago already. Guess i'll have to do a water change and see what happens.;)

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

IMO, another clear case of coral "detox"... Cant speak for SPS, as I havent really kept and studied them, but most, if not all softies go through a "detox" every now and then. They just close up, also what we refer to as sulking.

They then basically release all water and nutrients inside their tissue, and shet a skin layer, which rids them of unwanted bacteria etc.

Depending on species, some may take a day, others weeks. My Menella took a whole month, without opening once, to do this. Mushrooms can achieve this within minutes. Pin Cushions also take a day or two etc. My Star Polyps also did this, but generally recovers after two days or so.

Good news is, that after this detox, they come out looking better than ever... Think of it in the same way shrimps molt.

One sign to look out for however, is weather you can see some parts coming loose or breaking apart from the colony. Also, make sure the pinkish color is still nice and pink. If this is not the case, then you should be worried, but untill that, just leave it to do its' thing... ;)

They are very hardy coral, and most of your other corals would show problems WAAAAAAAAAY before these...

9. Dewald@Dorry

Sjoe!! Thanks for clarifying Jaco. I did not even think about detox phase. It all makes sense now. The color is still pink and purple. All other corals are still healthy and my mushrooms look beter than ever. I have one red mushroom that is the size of a tea saucer!;)

Recent Posts