Urgent help needed Green Star Polyps not opening

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by SaltyReef, 14 Jul 2010.

1. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

Hi All,

My green star polyps are not opening at all over the last 3 days!

All other corals in the tank including sun chili and frogspawn are opening without an issue.

The only thing i have changed in the last few weeks is that i added a DIY Carbon Reactor.

Is this normal behaviour?
    should i wait or change something?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi SaltyReef - yes. It could be "normal". But, can you perhaps also post your water parameters for us?

4. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

sg = 1.025
    ammonia = 0
    nitite = 0
    nitrate = 0.2

5. jacquesb

W.r.t soft-corals, SaltyReef - there is, and could indeed be such a thing as "too low nutrient levels".

It see that you are reporting that your nitrates are at 0.2ppm? Which is extremely low for soft-corals.

What skimmer do you have? Are you overskimming by a lot?

6. Dane

Dane

Hey salty, I wouldn't worry yet. Agree with jacques that a little bit of nutrients in the water is good for softies, but I wouldn't advocate trying to up that just yet... Maybe what a few more days and then try another spot. I have star polyps that took nearly a week to open and now they are growing like mad. Like many softies they are probably just "sulking" a little after being moved/fragged/shipped etc.

7. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

I have put in a new skimmer a via aqua sk 388 apparently rated for 1000L but I dont trust that.
    My total water volume is 380L and I have also started skimming wetter than before.
    I have also cut down on feeding a bit whilst the skimmer gets settled.

I have also read that flow or lack thereof and addition of carbon could be the cause

8. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

I broadcast feed with phytoplankton twice a week but i dont switch off the skimmer. perhaps i should turn the skimmer off for a day or 2 and see what happens?

9. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

I have noticed a reduction in algae since I started wet skimming

10. jacquesb

Are you dosing any phosphate remover, SaltyReef? I also know that aliminium based phosphate remover could also have this effect.

BTW: - I agree. I won't trust the "rating" from the Via Aqua skimmers. But, is it since you changed skimmers, that your star polyps are closed?

11. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

not dosing phosphate remover at all. the skimmer has been in the tank 3 weeks but i added the carbon reactor about a week ago and the last 3 days the polyps have been closed.

all other softies are fine 5 types of mushrooms,zoas button polyps both sun corals chili coral frogspawn coral and goniopora which has always been the tricky one.

The star polyps have grown tremendously over the last three months about a month ago i zapped an irritating aptasia that attached itself to the star polyp matt but it grew more since then. I 'll try and dose with phytoplankton a bit more and let you guys know.

12. jacquesb

With a bigger skimmer AND carbon reactor, I would suggest that you perhaps increase your feeding - IF the polyps don't open up after the weekend.

13. Dane

Dane

Oh, is this an established coral? Thought it must've been a new addition - my bad! I second what jaques suggests, but wierd that its just the star polyps. I had one or two zoa colonies that were sulking recently and they have been much happier after a freshwater dip. But I don't think star polyps respond as well to a dip as the zoas do.... Hmmm.

Give what jacques suggests a try, I wouldnt switch the skimmer off completely. Maybe run it a little dryer and up the feeding again. Also maybe consider the carbon reactor as it was the most recent change to the tank before they closed up...?

Have you changed flow at all? Repositioned them?

14. SaltyReef

SaltyReef Thread Starter

just to let you all know I eventually gave the GSP a scrub with a soft toothbrush and about 2 hours later it opened up fully.

I suppose it just needed a tickle...lol

Recent Posts