Green star polyps growing funny

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Charl_Stanhope, 11 May 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey guys

I recently bought some gsp which was not attached to any rock so I put it on a piece of base rock. The gsp has got a bend in it so itsnot lying flat on the rock. Will it eventually attach itself flat to the rock or will there always be a gap between some gsp and the rock. Also,its quite a large piece.how soon can you frag it. Ive had it in my tank for just over a month and its been open since and definitley growing very very well. Some pieces are hanging over the rock. Is it advisable to frag it and then place it in better positions on the rock or should I just leave it so it covers the rock on its own.

Is there a general rule of thumb for a good time to frag coral.Say it must be in the tank for like a few months.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Why do you want to frag it???

If it is to place it at different places in your tank, then do not be shy, carry on, there is no set rule. If it is doing well in your tank, then there would not be a problem

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Im just worried that they wont cover the gap under the current colony and there will always be the gap. Ill try post a pic quickly to see what I mean. Ive taken the photo earlier today.

5. seank

seank

Where is the pic???

6. Charl_Stanhope

i have to wait to get home. Will upload it soon. My computer at work doesnt want to pick up my phone for some odd reason.

7. seank

seank

No problem. Will check it out in the morning. But it should eventually attch anyways Charl. No need to worry

8. Charl_Stanhope

[​IMG]

Here is the pic. Inside the circle,if you can call it a circle:lol: you can see the gaps.also towards the left. Excuse the gha. Its almost gone.was struggling with it a bit. Its only on the one rock tho.The red stuff is a weird coloured coraline. It doesnt come off easily so its def not cyno. Ive changed ro cause the ro I use to buy had a tds of 220. that created alot of problems for me.luckily Ive got a friend who can test water.A pity I didnt get it tested sooner.how that for a trusted lfs. The next closes decent one to me is a 120 km away.

9. Anemone

Anemone

Tie it down with fishing line.

10. Tony

Tony

Mine had a gap as I only help it down with an elastic band and the ends were flapping a bit. It is now growing onto the rock but there is a bit of a hollow

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

TDS of 220? Sounds like tap water boet :whistling:

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

perhaps water thats been filtered and remineralised.

13. Charl_Stanhope

lfs was claiming it was pure ro/di water. so I got suspicious of the water and had it tested.Our water in Hermanus has got a tds of +- 240 so its very close to tap water. I rather drive for an hour and a half to a fish shop than to support my lfs. Not that she has got any marine stuff anymore. At least I can get very clean nsw. Had that tested and that contains no oils,bad stuff etc. So at least thats one bonus for staying in Hermanus.

Will tying it down,thus forcing that hollow gap onto the rock not cause any health problems for the gsp. its probably 3 cm off the rock but just on that once section.

Thanks for the advice

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Then they had never maintainted their RO DI unit or just got it out the tap :eek:

15. Tony

Tony

Not at all. I removed my elastic band yesterday after being attached for about ten days and the coral is fine. I have a little bald strip where the bad was but they will grow back soon. You can use fishing gut if you want which is much finer than an elastic

Recent Posts