Green stalk like growth

Reaction score
I have that shit all over my one tank...it grows but I have not seen any GHA so it's ik I guess. Is it brittle like a brush bristle?

Reaction score
brentnorm: i'm sure its just some type of macro algae - you can leave it there if you don't mind it (will help remove nitrates etc)

Reaction score
no it's way to hard for hairy algae...I can lift the rock holding it...must be a kind of macro algae...?

Reaction score
well all I have is a midas blenny, occ. clown and bi-color angel...maybe I should put it in my other tank and give my yellow tang a go at it. Anyone think it would be any good in a refugium - surly it needs nutrients to grow and will out compete the dreaded GHA?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i believe the brush stuff is briopsis, posted by Sims, as for Brent, not too sure, it will need to grow up a bit for ID

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Brent - you have your first signs of caulerpa macro-algae. That's what the start of caulerpa racemosa looks like. It has short'ish blade-like leaves, a creeping stalk and the flattened round blulbs.... Not a problem in your tank at all - awesome way to ensure that it takes your nutrients out of the water - you should just ensure that you keep in under control, as it can spread like wild fire. And No - it is not such a pest as hair algae (GHA), BUT, people say that it COULD possibly go "sexual" - even though I have never personally experienced this.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Jacquesb. Will keep a close eye on it

Thanks Jacquesb. Will keep a close eye on it.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wee-Man / SIMS - bryopsis have leaves that are "fern-like" - e.g. single stalk with tiny feather-like tufts growing out from the centre outwards.

SIMS - you are right - THAT is bryopsis. Is this what you have? It does not look like it...
BTW: I KNOW WHAT BRYOPSIS is - I was suffering from a MAJOR ourbreak of it. As well as GHA... Now - my algae outbreak is nearing 95% eradicated. Still some here and there...... BUT NEARLY eradicated! ;-)

Brent - it is a GREAT pleasure! ;-) GLAD TO KNOW I COULD PERHAPS HELP....:biggrin: