SG = 1.025
pH = 8.4
Ammonia = 0.1
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 15
PO4 = 0
KH = 9
Temp = 26

Over the last few days , I have noticed this leafy green algea starting to grow from the top rocks closest to the light. The algea almost has the shape of a fern leaf .The area where they are growing is a high flow area. It appears to pop up everywhere on the LR.

What is this and do I need to be concerned ? :(

Sorry, pic is a bit blurry

P1020476.jpg

Reaction score
well, i'm not sure what it is, maybe be green hair algae. but this will happen in a cycle. dont worry, it will die off when there is no more nutrients in the water to feed off:)

Thanks Scuba,

OK, I'll be patient and allow the cycle to complete itself. Was just concerned that I'm going to end up with GHA or Bryopsis on all my LR.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
One way to remove Bryopsis it to raise your Kh levels to around 11-14, bryopsis prefer much lower levels.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Magnesium as well, raise that to about 1650 and maintain it at that level for about 3 months.

Once bryopsis get a foothold it's an absolute pain to get rid of.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Apollo - Viper is 100% correct. I was a MASTER at growing bryopsis at a stage. Not that this was a good thing at all....

High alkalinity (around 14 dKh) is not overtly bad for any other lifestock, unless your calcium levels (the possible negative effect of high alkalinity) drop too much....
Raised magnesium definitely works - this feeds the bryopsis TOO much magnesium (which they thrive on), which in fact causes the bryopsis to "burn" itself out (it increases the metabolism of the chloroplast cells in producing energy)....
The bryopsis become lighter and lighter, and then later on "just dissappears".

Good luck mate.

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Will give it a bash and see how we do.
For now I've just scrubbed the top rock to clear it of all visible bryopsis. I'll keep a very close eye on the regrowth over the next few days.

Funny thing is that once I had scrubbed the rock free of bryopsis, I noticed that I have some caulerpa growing everywhere . For now I just see small little budding leaf structures appearing.

Can I use bicarb to raise the KH ? If so , what dosage would you recommend , bearing in mind that I only have a 60liter nano.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Apollo - yes - you can indeed use Sodium Bicarbonate to raise the alkalinity in the tank.
For your 60 litre tank, I would suggest adding +-5grams (a teaspoon full - not heaped) every 2nd day - and then measure BEFORE and a minimum 2 hours after dosing - to ensure that your alkalinity does not shoot sky-high.... repeat every 2nd day, until you have reached the target alkalinity.