green hammer

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jackiejaryd, 18 Nov 2012.

1. jackiejaryd

jackiejaryd

Hey, we've started our marine tank recently, although the water has been in the tank for over a year. We have a couple of fish and 3 different corals. Our one coral - a green hammer is not looking good. It"s "shriveling" up... Any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Howdy, sorry it's not looking good, however to help out we need to know what type of lights you use, water parameters, particularly nitrates, phosphates, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity?
    How old is the tank?

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Did you add all the live stock at the same time? The reason I ask is that even though you have had water in the tank for a year, adding to much live stock at once could cause an ammonia and nitrite spike which could cause stress in the fish and corals, particularly a LPS, as you don;t have sufficient bacteria in the tank to breakdown your waste products.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2012
  5. jackiejaryd

jackiejaryd Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I've had the hammer for about 1 month now. And no, i didn't add all the stock at the same time. I've done the tests, and everything is normal. Just the nitrate is a bit high.

We unfortunately don't have the LED lights. Not sure what we have, but it's the one that's just 'below" LED.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Glad you stepped the stocking of the tank. When you say "high" at what number is that? LPS don't really like Nitrates above 15ppm, they prefer them below 10. You don't need LED's to keep LPS, but some good T5 globes would be great.

7. jackiejaryd

oh no. our nitrate is above 15ppm (cant remember exactly how high) and we don't have any salt water to do a change. Can do it first thing tomorrow morning.

Yes, we have T5 globes!

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok :thumbup: on the globes. Don't panic, a water change tomorrow will be fine, but it's only a temporary solution. You need to see why your nitrates are high. How often and how much do you feed. What type of filtration do you have and is it sufficient? If you can safely say that your husbandry is good, then you might have to start another way of nutrient export, like NO3PO4-X from red sea or orca bio cubes, there are a few options. Do you have a sump you could start a refuge with some macro algae? In the end, it will take time and some extra work on your part.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2012
  9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Oh forgot to ask, what are your tank dimensions and how many T5's do you have?

10. jackiejaryd

thanks so much for your input/help.

We have 4 globes and it's a 340L tank.

our nitrate has always been a bit high... Hopefully we can sort this out now! I feed them granules in the morning (approx 10-20) and in the afternoon I feed them 1 x frozen (defrosted on a plate) shrimp and later I would hang a "green algae" in the tank.

We have a fluval filtration.

No idea what you talking about re sump and micro algae. lol

11. crispin

crispin

hi jackie:) welcome to masa its great to have you join.

is it at all possible for you to post a pic of the tank and the filtration system for us? it would help us greatly to be able to help you.

what is the SG of the tank, and do you measure with a refractometer or a hydrometer(swing arm)?

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Oh yeah, forgot that too! Thanks bud, just shows you how much info we store and how much we take for granted, especially if our tanks are looking good.:blush:

Recent Posts