GREEN HAMMER diseased ?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Falcon, 29 Apr 2009.

1. Falcon

Falcon

Hey guys i got this hammer for over a year now for the last two weeks it has been acting up,first all the heads did not open up for two-three days.so i left it thinking maybe he was just acting up as corals sometimes do but then all the heads opened up(not fully though) except for two at the back.These heads are still not opening until today and the rest are fine.

Ive checked parameters and all are fine,except nitrate which is around 10-15ppm.however it was high due to some changes i made to my tank and for the last month its been coming down from around 40ppm.
    Calcuim is at 360ppm but i doubt this could affect the hammer as the sps are all still fine.

Now there are only two other changes i've made during the last month.

1.My pure actinic t5 geisseman 54w tube failed(simply does not switch on anymore).I highly doubt this could be the problem as i still have 20000k etc.
    2.I added two corals,a sarchophyton glaucum and BLUE DAISY POLPYPS(cornularia sp.)

So my question is do you guys think this is chemical warfare,a lighting issue(as i now dont have any pure actinic,highly unlikely though) or could it be some kinda disease or parasite?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

oh and btw the euphillias(frog spawn) in the tank are all doing normal through all this......

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I think your torch coral is too close as it looks happy but not the hammer

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Falcon - how long have the hammer been like this now?

I have found that my hammers sometimes does this for short periods of time (max one day).....

5. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

few weeks now jacques,thats why i'm worried as mine also sulk for a day or two but TWO WEEKS is not normal.

Tony that euphilia(not torch btw) is quite far from the hammer and if it were to sting it would sting heads closer to it not these two.....have a look at the first pic,the euphilia is to the right of this pic and i gave the hammer plenty space as you can see...

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OK - two weeks is FAR FAR too long, Falcon..... Hhmmm - Perhaps try and dose some iodine (switch off all pumps and the skimmer - then squirt some liquid (diluted) iodine over the coral..... see if this revives the coral?

I don't want to be TOO hasty in saying: yes, it is busy dying..... so - rather try and see what you can do to revive it...

Falcon - can you possibly think of ANYTHING ELSE (except for what you mentioned already) that might have changed.

7. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

a juv blue face angel?but i havent seen him nip at any corals.....

8. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

added iodine to the system a few days ago,didnt seem to make any diff.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Could be the angel - my xenias was busy dissappearing at some stage in my previous tank, could never find the culprit... until one day - and yeah, it was my coral beauty angel. Angels like to eat and nip at corals sometimes - ask Scuba :whistling:

10. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

very strange this,the two heads have died completely :(,i dont believe it is the blue face angel responsible as i have been wacthing him closely and he shows no interest in any corals he even grazed next to this hammer while grazing and showed no interest in it,he grazes with my yellow tang for algae and he eats flakes and blood worms also...

yet the other 9 heads on this hammer and the various other euphilia branches are all doing fine:whistling: very very strange...any body got some idea as to what couldve caused this?

Recent Posts