GREEN Hairy algae back....

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Raven, 31 Mar 2008.

1. Raven

Raven

Aahh damn-it!!!
    The green hairy monster is back in my tank!!!!
    A couple of days ago i've noted that some of my live rock have some green hairy algae on it... Now it started to spread to some of my other rocks!!!! Crap!

I was so proud of my new tank, as everything went well for a good while now, until 2 weeks ago - I've had some of the red hairy algae on the back glass (see thread - Red hairy algae on back glass and on some rocks - Marine Aquariums of South Africa), now this.

I hate this stuff, because it means that somewhere something is wrong - very wrong!!
    I have some cheato and alot of cauliptra (not sure on spelling) in my sump.
    My tank is running for 5 months now.

Nothing changed - i'm still feeding the same amount of food, no new life stock - nothing, but the damn hairy algae is back! :( :( :(

My phosphates is 0.3 (not sure on the measuring unit here but I use tropic marine to test)

Not sure on the other parameters - test kits are depleted - and my monthly budget is down the drain, as i've just bought some other equipement like a chiller/T5 lights ballasts pumps ext....The LFS is charging me R40.00 A tests.. i'm not prepared to pay that - I'll have to wait for my test kits...

How can i deal with my phosphates more effectively? (i want this all natural as possible, thus i'm not to keen to use rowa or phosphate removers)

Should i leave the LR with the green hairy algae in the tank, or should i remove it from the tank?

How can i get my cheato to grow faster, as i don't see that it's really growing fast enough, my cauliptra on the other hand is growing like mad...?

PLEASE HELP TO FIGHT OF THIS DEMONIC ALGAE:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

You got any hermits in your tank ?

4. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Raven, I'm afraid your Phosphate reading is very high!!

It should be closer to 0.01 I think.

5. Galibore

I think the only "natural" way is through macro algae. You can try increase the light intensity for your chaeto. Your chaeto will also grow faster if you get rid of the caulerpa. They might be competing for other nutrients.

If I recall correctly, the use of kalk also help control phosphate. Might be wrong here.

BTW R40 a test is rediculous. My LFS charges R10 per test.

6. Galibore

Then there is also the controversial Vodka method.

7. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

"You got any hermits in your tank ?"

Nope - but this will only help to take off some of the algae - which will come back again and again and again (the bastard
    stuff)...

8. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

The problem is - i don't want to get rid of the caulerpa just yet. I'm afraid if i just remove this and i don't have enough cheato more issues will arrise..

9. shan

shan

firstly a tank is not natural - the sea is. so if you got a tank then use phosban or the likes. also note that an increase in lights (better ballasts) will also sometimes increase your PO4. also the 6month syndrome that i heard about -apparently at 6 months you should get hair algae.

i understand what you are talking about when you say as natural as possible - if you do not want to use chemicals, then get a yellow tang - i know dorry pets has some - also increase your water changes - maybe 30 to 50% weekly

10. gaboon

gaboon

Have you checked the TDS of your RO water? Maybe remove a bit of caulerpa at a time

11. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

mmmm... yes, maybe i must test this first, as my RO unit is running for about 10 months now, and I have not replaced any filters yet...

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Raven - is this hair algae only on the live rock? I would suggest to take one piece of live rock at a time, put in a seperate container with some sea water, and a power-head for at least 2-3 weeks. It must be in the dark. Then the crap on the inside of the live rock will come out, and there will be no more "food" for the hair algae to live off.....

13. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

I hope this is just a "phase" and not something wrong with my RO unit, as i can't spend more money on my tank just now again... It just don't want to stop....This is a damn expensive hobby...And my tank is not even very impresive yet.
    How much do some guys actually spend on their tanks..?

14. Galibore

Yep. Best to remove it slowly over a long period of time. The cauerpa that is.

15. Galibore

Hi Shan,

Could you maybe go into a bit more detail regarding this. It sounds interesting.

16. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

this sucks..
    The thing is: These rocks came out of my old tank, and its running smooth for so long now - do you really think that there is some crap in the rocks. wouldn't it caused problems earlier then?
    Also does this mean that I would have to do this every now and again, or is this a once of thing?

17. jacquesb

"Cooking" your live rock should not cost money - unless you have to go out and buy another tank and power-head, that is.... I have lost count of how much I have spent on my tank.... Too much to mention ;-)

18. jacquesb

Hi Raven - I would not like to say that you HAVE to do this thing often, but seeing that I have learnt my lesson with live rock, and talk of experience, I would indeed say that this should be done once a year at least. Detritus gets stuck on the inside of the life rock if there is not enough micro life on the inside of the life rock. BUT - it seems that there is NEVER enough micro critters on the inside of one's rocks. This detritus could also be removed by extremely strong water-flow, from BEHIND the rocks.... So - if you want to rid of this forever, put a strong power-head or two behind the live rock (but only AFTER the live rock was "cooked")...

19. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

another question: Shouldn't the caulepera remove p04 as well?

20. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

HI Raven

The algae should absorb phosphates. The reason that your Chaeto is not doing well is the Caulerpa. Some algae's compete and may inhibit each other's growth.

Maybe remove one and see if the other does better...

Also trimming them little bit's more often may help boosting the growth response. Like grazing does grass...

21. shan

shan

galibore - sorry - my bad - thinking too fast for my fingers to type - what i should have said is increased light sometimes will bring about hair algae. i know many people who upgraded to MH or put in another T5 or a better ballast which made their lights work better and more efficiently only to also have hair algae

Recent Posts