Green hair Algea

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi LuwayneCrous - no, mate. It won't. Only finding the main cause of the green algae, would help with getting rid of it.

This is what I have done in my 2 meter tank when I was in my old house still:
- upgraded my skimmers from a Red Sea down-draft air-stone skimmer, and a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe skimmer, to 2 x ReefOctopus TS2 skimmers
- I reduced feeding (of my fish) to once every 2 days (my fish was not less healthy)
- I also manually scrubbed my live rock, outside of my tank, to get rid of the GHA
- I used a power-head every day to blow detritus off from my live rock
- I started using a phosphate remover media (SeaChem PhosGuard in my case)
- I "cooked" (not with boiling water ;)) my live rock, my placing them in a clean new container with only sea water in, with a power head to move the water - I then left the live rock in there for 6 weeks - this was all in the dark. Once this have been done, the live rock was rid of GHA.....

I also "stirred" the top +-1cm of my deep sand bed in my tank, to release any / all hidden detritus - this also acted as food for my corals.....

Reaction score
Hey Guys has anyone tried this????
I went away for 4 days and my tank was still hectic full of green hair and a few other algeas! Hectic I promise you all over the sand everything!!!! I did a 70% water change before I left and turned off the Atinic blue T5's only left my MH250w 14000k running! True's BOB!!! when I got back about 2 days I do not have a stich of algea besides some desirable cabbage weed growing!!! Wicked cool:slayer: how do you explain this???

Reaction score
Are atinics really good for any form of Coral/invert growth or just our viewing pleasure?? I honestly think it was the lighting that was fuelling the growth!!??
especially if you are running lights like mine? (250w MH 14000k globes)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Are atinics really good for any form of Coral/invert growth or just our viewing pleasure??
Yes, apparently they are almost an 'essential item', corals do need actinic light for growth, somebody posted a link to an excellent article about true actinic lighting, but I can't find it. :(

Reaction score
I thought so,
I've turned mine back on after all my algea died and it hasn't grown back....
maybe the new little 'local' gem tang is helping

Top Bottom