Green hair algea after adding skimmer :(

Reaction score
1595829762920.png

My 200L system Tank and sump) is about 9months old now. I recently added a bubblemagus 5 protein skimmer and removed my refugium which was hosting in the spot the skimmer is standing now. Previously I had little to none green algea and in the last months it just took over. My water changes are still 25L 3 times a month made with RoDI. So added back my fuge in a 10L segment of my sump, hoping it will help.

What else can I do naturally to remove it? Im not a believer in meds and treatments in general. Will the growth subside once the Fuge start absorbing some phosphates? Nitrates and Nitrites are currently and have been 0 week on week. However the phosphates I dont have something to measure with currently, so assume they might be the culprits.

Reaction score
The easy way out.. If you can remove the rocks... Just Google hydrogen peroxide dip to kill algae. Quick and simple. It will at least give you a head start. It might just be that the rocks are leaching stuff. You can get like a lawnmower blenny to help with control. But it will never eat all the algae. So you will have to remove some either manually or dipping the rocks.

Shawn1937

BandedBoxer
Reaction score
I dont think it is skimmer related. Those algae grow only when the water condition is not right. In most cases it happens when people do not use RO water to top up the tank.

Reaction score
Its not the skimmer..its the removal of the refugium...gotta gove thw skimmer time to catch up or add the refugium back or add a algea scrubber...

Reaction score
Thank you for all the comments. I think I found the cause.

The freshwater comment made me think, and I woke up in the middle of the night, remembering I added rinsed off and dried ceramic rings from my Malawi Cichlid tank:m28::banghead:

That media has been in freshwater tanks for 2 years+, so it must be leaching nutrients like a boss. So steps Im going to follow:

1. Removed the media
2. Added purigen
3. In a week scrub off algae (Want the algae to also help with the removal)
4. do big 50% water change

Let me know if there is something you guys think im missing.
@Xentagia , if issue persist, I might contact you with the hare. but want to address the cause of the problem. Luckily not to much coral yet, so scrubbing shouldn't be a problem

Reaction score
So was a bit impatient.

Decided to scrub all my rock where there was algae with just normal water and placed them upside down back into the tank, to prevent the algae from getting light. Luckily most of my coral is still on plugs. Doing the 50% water change today. Hopefully, everything turns out well. will post some pics in a month or so to show if successful or not.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
It could also be your system’s way to correct things after your heater overheated the water a while back. If you look at what happens to dead coral reefs due to warmer water, they mostly end up full of stringy algae.

Top Bottom