Green hair algae

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by oliver, 13 Dec 2015.

1. oliver

oliver

My tank has been running again since end of September and now I have a out break GHA in my tank ,my PH 8.3,NO3 is 0.025 PO4 is 0.08 Alk is 9.0 Ca is 475 Mg 1037 these results come from tests run by the local aquarium on my water. Any help and advice apreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mitchel

mitchel

If you can build a alge scrubber, get some ideas from YouTube and Google

4. JohanB

JohanB

GHA is mostly because of high phosphates. The GHA uses a lot of phosphates so the fact that you can still measure PO4 even though you have GHA says to me that you have a lot it.
    Try and get a phosphate reactor with media. If that doesnt work in the long run you can have a look at lights etc.
    You're magnesium is also quite low. It should be around 1350. For some types of algae magnesium can make a difference, but the big culprit is probably PO4. Either way you can lift it to keep your corals happy if you have any.

5. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Only 2 mushroom corals at the moment and about 10 fish

6. Apollo

Apollo

Oliver,

Your Nitrate and Phosphate levels are probably much higher than what your water tests reveal. Bear in mind that the GHA is probably locking in NO3 & PO4 and what your water tests are measuring is only the "free" NO3 & PO4 in the water column. As already suggested by other posters, you need to look at reducing your nutrients. Below I have indicated to you some other possible options to consider ( The list is not an exhaustive one, but merely some pointers)

• Set skimmer to skim "wet" in order to extract a greater amount of nutrients
    • Run PO4 & NO3 removal media (e.g. reactor with biopellets etc.)
    • Execute larger weekly water changes of 15-20% or so
    • Manual removal of GHA strands - Pretty easy if the algae is already long. Just rip it out with your fingers.
    • Change your feeding regime (e.g. if you feed twice a day, change this to once a day or so)
    • You could adjust your Mg levels, but this is not always guaranteed to work. In any event, I would slowly increase the Mg levels to approx 1400.
    • You could add CUC or fish to help trim the algae down, but again the species with appetite for GHS are selective and will not touch it once it grows long.

7. Apollo

Apollo

Oliver,

A few questions : How big is your tank and how much LR do you have ? Do you run a sump, and what filtration media (if any) are you using ?

8. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Tank size 240l live rock about 16kg in rank plus a over 5 in my sump media phosphate remover from Aquarium Munster line of products and also No3 remover and charcoal.lights from ATI 6x 39 w,protein skimmer Bubble Magus Curve 3.5

9. Apollo

Apollo

IMO your bioload (fish in this case) is rather high for a relatively new tank. It is possible that your biological filtration has not yet caught up, as the tank is still "newish".
    Also please bear in mind that fighting nuisance algae is a long term battle and there are no quick fixes. Whilst predatory fish or inverts may assist, this will not happen overnight and if you don't identify the root cause of the algea (i.e. nutrients, poor flow, excess feeding, light cycles etc.), then you are merely treating the symptoms.
    The same goes for your filtration and additives/appliances you have in the sump. Having a Phos reactor or Nitrate reducing media is great, but you still need to take heed of exporting nutrients and practicing good husbandry.

The amount of LR you have might be a bit low for the size of tank. Generally speaking you should aim for approx 100g of LR for every liter of water. This is however a very general guideline and there are exceptions.

IMO I would do some manual removal of the GHA, execute 10-15% water changes weekly and change the feeding regime a bit. Keep testing your water and observe closely whether the algae is stabilising or receding. Also have a look in your tank and sump to see if any detritus has accumulated and whether there are any dead spots with low flow.

Just a few thoughts .....;)

Last edited: 17 Dec 2015
    TaahirS likes this.
  10. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Amount of fish very low a total of 10 fish two small mushroom corals and two cleaner shrimps all the fish are less than 7cm in size.Very strict feeding regiem twice a day very small amounts.

11. BrandonW

BrandonW

I have been thinking of making a algae scrubber. I have been reading up on it and seems quite useful. What do you guys think?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Algae scrubbers do work.
    But depending on how you do it, it can be a maintenance hassle. Newer upflow design should be easier as there is less dismantling.

13. Franna29

Franna29

I had the same problem.. for a long time, my problem was my light was on for too long.. try reducing your lighting to about +-7 hours a day.
    my algae grew like a bomb with no phosphate and nitrate

14. BrandonW

BrandonW

What
    what do you mean by newer upflow design?

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Original, as around 2008, the basic designs were all open scrubbers, out of the water with water running down a net or other hard surface. Issues with water splashes and salt creep. Plus being able to dismantle the thing. Without dripping water over the floor and upsetting the non-reefer.

The upflow design cancels a lot of these issues, although being able to get it out still exists.

The open old designs did help a lot with tank cooling. A well placed PC fan or two and you got an evaporative cooler as well.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2015
  16. BrandonW

BrandonW

Okay, thanks understand a lot better now thanks:thumbup:

17. Geronimo

Geronimo

Hi Oliver. I got the same problem in a similar size tank. Don't have a sump only a Jewel internal filter and Jewel internal skimmer with about 7kg of LR , 6 small fish and a coral shrimp. My tank has been running since the 1st week of October. I was keeping my lights on for 12-13 hours a day to my regret. I have now reduced the lights to 7-8 hours a day and feeding to once a day instead of twice. Good luck, it's not an easy quick fix.

Recent Posts