green hair algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by paul bloem, 31 Mar 2012.

1. paul bloem

paul bloem

To start off by saying that I feel like a newby again.
    Got my new tank started up in Dec 2011, in Jan 2012 I started seeing GHA but added fish in the system.

The GHA did not bother me to much because I thought my tank is going through a mini cycle but the algae got too bad and I took my rock out and cleaned all"most" of the GHA off. That I did about a week ago.
    And guess what the algae is back.
    I did took half of the LR and started curing it agin but I am going to put all of it in the curing bin.
    Did get about 11kg of LR from a friend to introduce cured and ne bacteria in the system.
    The thing I'm wonderring is how to get rid of the algae on the sand bed in the DT and how long do I leave the LR in the bin?
    Just to ad, when I moved the LR they were transported with as little as possible water for aboute 20min and I then added the water again.

I do have a dsb running with a np pellet reactor since I started the system up.
    Feeding is once a day and only have 5 fish in and cleaner shrimps and hermits.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

As we all know algae feeds off the nutrients in the system so why don't you a couple of big water changes to get rid of them..

Also, just bear in mind that the nutrients might be leaching from your LR as well so the water changes might not even make a difference.

Have you got any phos remover going?

4. paul bloem

paul bloem Thread Starter

I also think its leaching from the LR.
    I do have it running at the moment.
    I need to buy a phos test kit today, because when I checked the Nitrates in the curing bin with all my LR except base rock it was 10 and in my tank the nitrates is 0, so I do think its the LR.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If it's long green hair algae then simply pull it up off the sand, you will get a bit of sand pulled up with the algae as well but nothing serious.
    If you want to 'cook' the rock properly then it takes about 3 months in darkness.

6. paul bloem

Ok, so it is the LR. Tested the Phos and its 0.1 in the drum so now the 3 month waiting period started.
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Just one more; is a skimmer needed in that drum?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there will be die off in that drum. due to you not feeding it. So yes, skimmer is needed.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The advised way is to use a skimmer, heater, circulation and water changes as well. But I'm lazy :p so when I cooked my rocks I used a small Reeftek TS1 skimmer but it didn't really do much, I think I did maybe one or two water changes over the 3 months, I had a heater and pumps for circulation and my rock came out very nice after a few months.

9. erratiC

erratiC

Good to hear you came right - that's going to be a long 3 months, hehe.

10. paul bloem

Thanks all
    Ans yes its going to be long

Recent Posts