Green hair algae

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA lindsay.

Glad you got the thread going Lindsay.

Ok we are going to need some more details. A few questions to get us going then.

-Are you using R/Owater to do your topups, if so do you know the TDS reading?
-Are you running a phosphate reactor or any phosphate media? if so how often do you change?
-have you added anything new to the tank recently?
-what is you lighting period?

Lets start there.

some pics would be great too.
-

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Lindsay.

The causes for hair algae can be complex and at times overwhelming. But it can be beaten. I been there and done that.
Like Kanga has suggested we need some info so that we can help :)

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Lindsay welcome to MASA, you going to have to give us some info in order for us to offer any advice.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
PM From Lindsay said:
ive tested my water phosphate 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 dkh 8 ammonia 0 ph 8.5 temp 26 sg 1022 so water seems good but algae loving it also dont know what to do anymore pulling my hair out
Lindsay I posted your PM here as there are many bright guys willing to answer.:thumbup:

The problem might be that the algae is "consuming" the P04 before as it leaches out of the rock, thats why you are getting a zero reading.

What test kits?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My pO4 level is at 0,2 and I still have hair algae, at what level should it disappear?
your PO4 must be zero to stop the hair algae.

yes im using ro water bought live rock from a guy in george and some more from sams aquarium in C.T
How mature was it? - and how new is your tank - as Kanga said -give us some more details and we can sort your problems out so you can enjoy this very rewarding hobby.

sunburst

Foxface
Reaction score
Welcome Lindsay.

Believe me when i say there are many of us who understand your frustration. It happens at sometime to all of us.
My advice is get to know what fuels lower order algae growth.....and just to keep batting....

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
My Tank Has Been Running 8 Months Sera Aquatic Test Kit. Ozone No Phosphate Reactors Water Changes Every 2 Weeks ,10-12 Hours Photo Period

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
your PO4 must be zero to stop the hair algae.

I started running carbon two days ago, will this help?

Well, running carbon will help your water clarity, but it won't reduce any PO4. you need to run PO4 remover to get rid of the hair algae.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I have been running it for some time now, but I must admit it was not done properly. Will sort this as soon as I can get PO4 remover. None available locally at this stage.
Lets see which sponsors are the sharp ones!

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Exactly, in fact run water through your carbon and into your P04 remover[/quote]

Will do as soon as I have some PO4 remover.

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Wellcome Lindsay , I had a similar experience and I cut my lights down to 7-8hrs a day and it helped, I'm now running 11hrs and still no algae.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Lindsay. What size tank do you have and what is your flow rate within the display?