Urgent help needed Green hair algae GHA

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by KAPNEL, 28 Mar 2014.

1. KAPNEL

KAPNEL

Need some help, all parameters good PH8.1 SALINITY 1024 (34) CA465 ALK8.3 MAG1035 Nit0 Phos0 but this stuff is growing. What do I do? [​IMG][​IMG]<br/>

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Do you blow off the rocks with a turkey baster? That is how I stopped it from happening.

Just because your water is perfect doesn't mean there isn't loads of detritus sitting in/on your rocks which is like fertilizer for GHA

4. KAPNEL

KAPNEL Thread Starter

Nope, I should get one. Can you send me a photo of one?

5. KAJSafrica

KAJSafrica

you might be feeding too much and/ or could be keeping your lights on to long. if none of this is the case then maybe invest in getting a good cleanup crew, a couple of turbo snails, some hermits and maybe a lawnmower/ sailfin blenny should keep that all in check :) hope this helps

6. KAJSafrica

KAJSafrica

ohh and if your tank is large enough, a tang or two will also benefit in keeping that algae in control

7. durleo

durleo

How old is the tank? Is it happened on all the rockwork? Sometimes the rock can hold nutients and although your testkit reads zero there is still phosphate in them that leaches. You can use a good phosphate remover like rowaphos or phosphaguard. Grazers will help aswell - snails - hermits - surgeonfish. Lighting could also be an issue if your t5 bulbs are very old. I run the orca bio cubes to keep nitrates in check and phosphate remover in a reactor. I also use carbon. Get a turkey baster from boardmans to blow off dirt aswell.

[​IMG]

8. Barlan

Barlan

i have the same problem, GHA on the lower parts of my live rock, really pretty to look at, if you like a furry forest.... mine is how ever, thicker, like that fake fur you find on pet stands and about 3-4 cm long.

my convict and dory have no interest in it.

the stuff is a bit too attached to turkey blast it off - i have to try cut it off or something. its too far down to easily rip it off (80cm H tank)

i have seachem seagel in a bag, newly added about a week ago.

similar water params, except my PH is around 8.4 and my alk is rather low at around 5.

no clue as to what to do :(

suggestions welcome.

TX

B

9. Fanlie

Fanlie

how old is the tank?
    How many hours light per days?
    is you sure reef live rocks?

10. Barlan

Barlan

@Fanlie

tank age: approx 8 months.
    hours of light: morning from 7-9:30 (for feeding) and then at night from 4-12. we have vortec radions, so we do the whole sunrise, sun set cycle.
    live rock: its real live rock :) we took some from our previous tank. but most of the rock in our DT was bought new and cycled.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. puffer fish

puffer fish

remove as much as possible by hand , sure a clean up crew will help but that is not solving the problem , more info is needed here , quality of LR ? lighting ? filtration ? sump set up ? bio load ? and how much flow does the affected areas get ? also how long as the system been running for ? controlling algae is simple as soon as you find the cause and understand water parameters and maintain good husbandry , pm me the details and some pics and i will gladly try help you where i can

12. puffer fish

puffer fish

Barlan did you start your tank with dead sand and dead rock ? is there any corraline algae growing in your tank ? how many fish do you have ?

13. Barlan

Barlan

Hey Guys

The tank was started with argonite sand and dead rock. Yes there is some corraleine algea growing in our tank.. At the moment we have 2 clowns, 1 cleaner wrasse, regal and convict tang, as well as 3 dragonets. All th e fish are small sized at the moment.

Some of the affected areas are right in front of my flow, they cling on well with the powerheads blowing over them. Some other areas get less flow.

System has been running for about 8, 9 months.

14. puffer fish

puffer fish

what are the 3 dragonets eating ?

15. Barlan

Barlan

@puffer fish dragonets are eating pods, i've got another post about that... but i'm happy to announce that the mandarin was eating some lobster eggs i've put in a biggish shell, so at least he'll eat some frozen food while we wait for the phyto culture kit.

the scooties look ok, but could do with some fatening up, i've also seen them eating some lobster eggs.

16. puffer fish

puffer fish

do you have any updated photo's of your tank

17. Barlan

Barlan

Yeah i can post some tonight

18. Potions

Potions

A couple of Mexican Turbo snails would go a ways to helping curb that. They mow down gha, and if things settle down and you stop having as much gha, you can just take them out as needed and return them to the lfs. Mexican Turbo snails are way more ferocious eaters than the snail you have pic'd :)

19. JackSplat

JackSplat

@Barlan, i think i know the stuff you are talking about, its called Cladophora, or turf algae. I have the same in my tank and have been trying to get rid of it for a while now. Apparently its quite difficult. All my tank parameters are perfect yet no help.

I have read up on it and the most sites recommend mexican turbo snails as @3chelon mentioned, also emerald crabs and tuxedo urchins.

This is the stuff i got in my tank.

[​IMG]

20. Barlan

Barlan

Sorry forgot to post the pic, ive been removing the algea by hand with a brush and swapping out filter socks like mad. Will be taking a few more pics soon and updating tank thread.

thanks for all the help as always, getting there slowly but surely :D

Tank FTP.jpg

21. Potions

Potions

tanks looks nice :)
    @Barlan Did you manage to get some mexican turbo snails? They may be slow to find a rock with GHA, but once the find it, they mow it down. I've got 1 in my 20 gallon nano that I just setup (2nd week in) and one rock was getting quite covered with GHA, one evening saw the mexican turbo was on the rock, the next morning 90% of the GHA was gone off the rock ;). You don't want to go overkill on stocking them cause they ravenous eaters of algae. Prb like 1 every 15 gallons or so for maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 May 2014
Recent Posts