Green grass

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by marinenoob, 28 Oct 2009.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi guys,

My tank is running for about three and a half months now and since last week i have seen an increase in a green grass-like(moss??) growing on my live rock. what is it and what could be the cause?? also should i leave it or treat it?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

That sounds like GHA, Green Hair Algae. You need to check your phosphate levels. Your rock could be leaching phosphates too. Have you got any Turbo Snails in your tank yet? They'll help keep it in check too.

4. manta

manta

dont want to hijack the thread but I also have the same problem. How does one check for phosphates and what is the acceptable levels?

5. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

Hi,

I would also like to know, is there a specific test for this?

regards,

6. amalick

amalick

Yes, there is a specific test. Get to your LFS and ask for a PO4 test kit. Idealy you want a level of Zero, but thats often easier said than done. My systems hovers between 0 and 0,1 mg/l. There are many remedies to lower P04 levels. Personally I acheived it by using a combination of Phosban and a Algea Turf Scrubber.

Lots of threads on this, just search for GHA and u will see your not alone:(

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

each system is different and there are a number of remedies that can be applied depending on the system, i would suggest opening a more detailed thread on your system, including pics etc and we can attempt to help you out.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

please post a pic it may be macro algaes growing out of the LR, while not a totally bad thing but if they get a foot hold on the system they can make life miserable.. keep an eye on it.. on identification we can better assist..

Recent Posts