Green Clumps of Hair Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RaveMan, 5 Mar 2008.

1. RaveMan

RaveMan

People help

Keep pulling the stuff out -- but reappears -- concentrated on about 4 or 5 spots

what can I do

running rowaphos and carbon 24/7

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shan

shan

what are your nitrates sitting at?

also - if you tank is 6 months old - then i was told it is normal and will go away

and is it only on one rock - if so then that rock is leaching NO3 and PO4 - if thats the case then toss the rock

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Raveman what is your current lighting cycle?

Are they on different rocks/Are all the rocks from one batch and where do they come from?

What is your nitrates and P04 readings?

5. cybervic

cybervic

Keep up your husbandry, and the hair algae will go away by itself. By changing things, you disrupt the ecology of the tank and this might cause extra die off, extra nutrients etc and this will fuel the hair algae. There are lots of stuuf out on the net that lists good husbandry. If I were you, I would decide on what will work for me and stick to it. IMHO reef tanks only start stabilising after a year +. You could use biological control, like a diadema urchin, but that will pose its own challenges and problems.

Hope you manage to solve your hair algae issues.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I also had green hair algae - my Algae blenny(lawnmower) took care of it!:thumbup:

7. cybervic

cybervic

What do you feed him now that you don't have any algae? Mine refuse to eat frozen foods. My solution .. grow more algae :p Perfect harmony. Algae are good filtration, better that any protein skimmer <flamguard on>

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Vic, he still grazes on the live rock and the glass. I put nori in the clip daily and he also eats that - usualy tears it out in a few bites. The nori is actually meant for powder blue and coral beauty but he sometimes beats them to it. Quite a character!

9. cybervic

cybervic

Yeah they are! I just love mine. Affordable useful fish with character!

10. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Quick question: If LR was in a PO4-rich tank, and I let it stand for months in a drum with just a powerhead and ambient light (in the garage), would the PO4 be "removed" - I mean, where's it going to go to? If I put that rock in my tank, will the algae grow now that it has light?

11. LikesFish

LikesFish

Can you take a picture of the algae? It always helps to get a positive ID.

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The drum must be in complete darkness. If you can, do 50% waterchanges every week to remove/dilute the po4, skimming would also help if you can get one on there somehow.

With the drum being in complete darkness, the algae will have no light to feed on, also with huge waterchanges you are furthermore removing any nutrients in the water that the algae feeds off, eventually the algae will have little to no food to continue growing, likewise the bacteria will also have nothing to feed on, except for the algae, so the bacteria within the rock will consume the algae and remove it completely from the rock. You will find the rock will also dispel a lot of detritus that has been trapped in the rock. Also every time you do a waterchange, give the rock a good shake in a bucket of clean SW before returning it to the drum, this will shake off any detritus that the algae is feeding off.

So....complete darkness, big waterchanges, 6 months later, and you're on a winning ticket.

13. cybervic

cybervic

The moment you add it to the tank, carbon and nitrates will fuel growth like never before, hence my recommendation to keep up with good husbandary practices, but not to make major changes on the tank

Last edited: 6 Mar 2008
  14. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Ah, skimming and diluting with water changes I can understand ... That's were it goes to. Thanks

15. LikesFish

LikesFish

One thing about cooking LR that I could never get is when exactly do you know when all the algae had been consumed and when is the right time just before the bacteria starts to die off due to lack of food? Surely if you wait a little too long the bacteria will all die, leaving you with base rock (which can be attained just as easy as leaving it in the sun for a couple of days).

16. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Would just leaving it in the sun also remove the nutrients, though?

17. cybervic

cybervic

Leaving it in the sun will bake the rock if left dry, with nutrients dissolving went put back in the water . If left in the water, it will be a neverending cycle. That is why we have to remove some of the nutrients via protein skimming and water changes

Recent Posts