Green bubble thing?

Reaction score
Hi Friends

Was looking and my pearl bubble coral today and I noticed something funny. 2 little green bubbles, got my turkey baster and blew onto them, the pearl bubbles contracted but the green ones did not, touched them with the tip and they seem to be quite firm, any ideas as to what they are? I thought it mite have been a green bubble coral but now not too sure.

392481b59814fbb2.jpg

392481b59cdb2d78.jpg

its a kind of algea, i had some , just took it out the tank and removed it. once removed i poped it in my fingers. the seem to be filled with air

It is macro algae, try not pop it in the tank as it spreads like widfire.

Most aquarists consider it a nuisance as nothing seems to feed on it, I have it wedged between some sticks and can't get to it :(

Last edited:
It's called valonia of bubble algae, try to wobble it gently and it usually becomes loose, try not to pop them, they can spread spores that way (although latest research suggests they don't spread as many as previously thought)

Agree with the man:). I actually like them, however they are considered pesky. I read somewhere that this is the biggest single cell plant known.

It's called valonia of bubble algae, try to wobble it gently and it usually becomes loose, try not to pop them, they can spread spores that way (although latest research suggests they don't spread as many as previously thought)

Think I could use a knife :whistling:

Yeah you could, one the up side though i have only seen this algae growing in healthy systems.

Syphon it out, and from what Iv'e read it contains spores and harmfull gasses and yes I also read it is usually only in tanks where the water is prestine.

I have always had 3/4 bubbles in my tank. They seem to grow and die off, and then pop-up else where.

I have had a couple physically pop, when trying to remove and I never noticed a bloom of bubble algae. I actually thing it is a myth.

I have heard of GHA infested tanks, but have never heard of Bubble infested tanks.

Anyone have examples of a bubble algae infested tank ?

"Much has been said about the danger of liberating spores when popping the vesicles of bubble algae. This is particularly true for members of Order Valoniaceae, but even then, the vesicles are said to be a sporulant risk only when having reached at least a third of their full size. Even if spores escape when you botch the job of vesicle-removal ('vesectomy', anyone?), those escapee spores have to run the gauntlet of herbivorous filter feeders, filtration equipment, and the wild lottery of hitting a good, unoccupied spot to settle and grow. Those spores will eventually be released anyway if you don't remove the vesicles."

Just like thought, so popping the algae is not as dangerous as been said.

But the article does say that these algae get a foothold in your tank they can be quite a menace.

Back
Top Bottom