Green Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by MerlinT, 27 May 2014.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

That's right! Green Bubble Algae guys. How does one get rid of it? That's the question. I've read that you need to physically remove it without bursting the bubbles or it will release spores and spread. The other is by adding an Emerald Crab. Is there no other way to get rid of this stuff. Any additives on the market?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    M

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

its a tough one. removing the bubbles controls the numbers, but you will never get all of them.

Low nutrients are also not sure fire method of getting rid of it, but they reproduce much slower and in some cases stop growing.

Ive heard emerald crabs will consume them, so they may help control their numbers.

If its on an isolated rock maybe remove the rock and remove it that way (not always possible)

4. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

I have one rock that has over 50 of them. I called that the host rock. That rock has my Acans on it. I guess I'll just have to remove that rock and try scraping the crap off. Having said that I still have some of the crap growing here and there. Gonna be an effort but I guess I'll have to remove it manually if there is no other method of removing it.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used the rounded back end of a teaspoon to scoop under them. They have some small little root. You can get it out, root and all.

Just switch off the powerheads, if you drop one so that it does not blow all over. Little buggers to catch in the current.

The really small ones is not ready to spawn. Once they are big and become a bit dull then they will release spores. So the really small ones you can just scrape off. It will take a couple of rounds to clear them all. But it is still better to do the job in a tub of old tank water from a water change.

6. JackSplat

JackSplat

I made an attachment for a 10mm hose, it has a 5mm nozzle. When I do a water change I use it to suck them off the rocks, works like charm, also gets rid of the other crap on the rocks and sucks up the spores if they burst.

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  7. archiecrain

archiecrain

Good idea, I must try that!

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yup, they do.

9. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

This is what I did as well and works well. Yip it gets rid pf all the crap in between rocks and gets rid of the bubbles.:thumbup:

Recent Posts