Green Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Michael B, 13 Jun 2011.

1. Michael B

Michael B

Afternoon All,

A colleague of mine at the office has a 3-foot tank & I just noticed that he has lots of green bubble algae (at the moment contained to two rocks)

What is the best way of getting rid of this algae - please any & all advice welcomed?

Cheers
    Michael B

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Falcon

Falcon

In bigger tanks I would suggest any tang of the zebrosoma species,but a three foot is just way too small for them so No ways is that is solution.Two other options are:

1.Get an emerald crab,apparently these guys LOVE bubble algae.
    2.Take the two rocks out and bleach them with jik(plain-non scented) then rinse and leave to dry for several days and rinse again before using,But this is A VERY extreme method and it still wont guarantee that it cant come back for spores on other rocks in the tank/substrate/water so this method to be used only as a last resort and basically the whole system has to be done this way not only two rocks.

Whats the dimension of his tank exactly?

Last edited: 13 Jun 2011
  4. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Thanks Falcon & that is what I thought (tank size is 900mm by 450mm x 500mm)

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

Would the algae not be a symptom of either high nitrate or phosphate?

Perhaps getting those levels down may be better than adding somthing to eat it, or scrubbing the rocks?

6. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi there, dont you think some of the Jik will still remain behind even after washing it.

7. Falcon

Falcon

Ok maybe a small zebrasoma would be ok here,but it's borderline,some people keep zebrosomas in this as a minimum tank size but I personally would not.He may get away with it short term but the problem is a long term one and a zebrosoma even a small one wont remain small long term so the tang method is out IMO.

You are correct but these bubble algae seem to be able to use even the most minute amounts of nitrates and phosphates(they are single cell organisms so very simple yet hardy),I had them in an ULNS nano where the nutrients were even too low for pocilipora(sps species) but these bubble algae still managed to thrive as there was no predation.So low nutrients will help to keep their numbers down but not in the absence of predators.

Hey there ocean,if you allow the rocks to dry out completely in the sun for atleast a week then the jik will evaporate,jik is afterall just chlorine(same as found in tap water,just much much more concentrated)

Check by smelling the rocks for any trace of chlorine,or after drying soak the rock in some pond anti chlorine treatment if you want to be very sure.:)

8. brentv

brentv

Scrub the rocks with a hard plastic scrubber.
    Do a 40% water change and put in a small surgeon like a convict that doesn't need to much space, it will eat the new growth!!

9. Falcon

Falcon

Thats not a bad suggestion at all brentv!It might just work....but the convict will need to be relocated as it grows,@brentv do convicts chow bubble algae?I know zebrasoma's eat them as my yellow tang does for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Wow, thanks so much all for the detailed feedback, questions & answers - will let you know the route we go & how it turns out

Recent Posts