Green algae

Reaction score
hey all,

i have this green algae growing on some of my rocks aswell as the crushed coral.
this pic aint the greatest but when seen up close the algae is very thick.
should i leave it to do its thing? if not how would i remove it?
IMG_0916.jpg

parameters:

ph - 8.7
nh3 - 0
no2 - 0
no3 - 5
po4 - 0.25
ca - 500
kh - 130
salinity - 1.025

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
hey trad.
thanks alot, at the moment i am doing a 25% water change every second week using ro water and real ocean salt mix. anyway i will try the power head:thumbup:

Reaction score
how old is your system .. as new systems have "algae blooms" which clear up in time ..

Reaction score
i will try get a better pic of it as it just seems to get thicker. prepared some water last night to do more frequent 10% water changes.

Reaction score
"dilution is the solution to pollution" .. in other words, like the proposed frequent water changes .. I used that salt, no problems except low KH ... are you running any phosphate media ?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wayne - I have not had a decent read about your issue, until now.
You have a case of cyano-bacteria. The green variety. Yes - cyano comes in wine-red, green, sometimes blue and brown... :)

Things you can do to resolve this:
- water changes (this helps)
- find the cause of your phosphates - this could be detritus in the tank, in the live rock, in the substrate, on the substrate, and remove this
- get phosphate remover (a commercial product you buy at the LFS, or at one of our sponsors, ie. SeaChem PhosGuard, PhosBan, etc....)
- upgrade you skimmer
- feed less
- increase your water flow (ie. get a power-head that delivers a WIDE ANGLE stream, instead of a concentrated jet-stream, ie. SEIO, Tunze, ReSun Waver, Boyu Wavemaker, etc).....

You can also siphon your substrate, use a power-head to blow a stream of water on your live rock to blow out/off detritus, etc).....

Get some macro algae (ie. chaetomorpha) and put this in your sump, with enough lighting to grow the chaetomorpha).....

Reaction score
thanks jacquesb.

well i have removed the rock where it was growing the most and flipped the crushed corel around also started with 10% water changes every second day.

-skimmer is a am turboflotor 1000 multi sl(this skimmer was recommended to me)
-feed small portion of food once a day.

could the crushed coral form part of the problem?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wayne - the Turboflotor is a very skimmer, as far as I understand. Yes - the crushed coral can indeed be part of the problem, as can the actual life rock be (hidden detritus inside the life rock).
What water flow do you have in your tank? Types and l/h of your in-tank pumps?

Reaction score
morning jacquesb

i thought the crushed corel could cause some problem so i have slowly started removing it from my display.
in the display i have a minjiang 2000lph and a seio m1500 6000lph
my return pump is a am or3500.

Reaction score
i dont seem to be coming right, i do my water changes every second day and i have run seachem twice.
new parameters:
ph - 8.5
n02 - 0
kh - 110
ca - 500
nh3 - 0
no3 - 10
po4 - -0.04
salinity - 1.026
IMG_0993.jpg

the above pic is in a high flow area

IMG_0997.jpg

from the pic above and below you can see the algea releases alot of bubbles

IMG_0990.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Dude its the salt i can almost guarantee.
Many reefers are having the same green cyano and the common denominater is Real Ocean salt.
Its cheap but over time i`m finding its also nasty.

Reaction score
recon it feeds cyano to?? i keep getting a breakout for arb reasons. only factor that changes is the water changes...