Great White shark decapitated

Reaction score
just found this on IOL :(

Great White shark decapitated
Helen Bamford
October 26 2008 at 01:40PM

An investigation has been launched into the mutilation of a Great White shark which had its head sawn off at Macassar beach on Saturday.

Alison Kock, the researcher at the Save Our Seas Shark Centre, said jaws and teeth were valuable on the black market and fetched thousands of dollars.

Details as to the cause of the shark's death were sketchy.

Initial reports indicated the 3.5m shark had been seen in the surf still intact early on Saturday, but had its head and fins sawn off about an hour later.

Great Whites have been protected in South Africa since 1991 yet fishermen continue to catch them illegally, and globally populations are threatened.

Kock said that earlier this year a number of recreational fishermen at Macassar were sent warning letters after catching Great White sharks.

"Marine and Coastal Management are following up several leads. If we can catch and prosecute the perpetrator hopefully it will send out a strong message."

If anyone has any information they should contact Kock at alison@saveourseas.com

o This article was originally published on page 7 of Cape Argus on October 26, 2008

as a surfer who stands to loose a limb/ my life to one of these guys i am still disgusted at how these beautiful misunderstood creatures are hacked for jaws/ fins and left to die... its simply no way to treat any creature....

If I found a dead one on the beach I would also take the jaws ,come on the thing was dead already.

This is absolutely horrific. Zookeeper - who says that the fish was "found dead on the beach"? Perhaps someone "made it happen" that the poor fish "should be found dead on the beach"?

this is a common thing in the cape... i have seen it before.. its disgusting... if found dead i have no objection but typically it should be reported for research purposes with a request as made for the jaw... i see no problem with having a jaw so long as its asked for and obtained in a correct fashion..

Its a protected species - you are not allowed to have ANY poart of the animal - dead or alive - with you at any time. Its like having tusks in your house

Back
Top Bottom