Great variety of SPS Frag added

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by 'D', 6 Jan 2018.

1. 'D'

'D'

:)Hello all,

So as you would have seen is the Large Tank thread, my tank has settled and I have added some amazing coral pieces (frags) - must now have roughly 70 different Corals in my tank!

So I thought I will share them one at a time and keep you in the loop with growth rates (touch wood - losses) over the coming weeks.

To start off the tread, I thought that I will share the first coral - this took me totally by surprise as I didn’t expect it to be as nice as it is!

Stylophora - Milka

Would appreciate should any of you have this, if you can share your experiences...

Mine is placed mid tank - high light and high water flow ;)

image.jpg

trad, Aqaunino and tekkengal like this.
  2. Guest

3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that is a really nice color you got there. If grown it would look great to see that deep purple.

4. OP
    'D'

'D'

Thank you! I am very eager to see what it will look like in a couple of months.
    With parameters stable, we should see some great growth in the coming months ;)

5. OP
    'D'

'D'

Next One:

Watermelon Chalice

I have never had Calices in my life - partly because I couldn’t find something really nice and partly because reading up on them they seemed quite aggressive toward other Corals.

With them needing space to grow and being low in the tank with lower light, my aqua scape allows me to place them at the bottom, far from any other SPS. I now have 5 Chalices and will share with you in the weeks to come

Whilst small, I am delighted with it and cannot wait to see it take off ;)

image.jpg

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
    Aqaunino likes this.
  6. OP
    'D'

'D'

Ok.....so I am bored and cannot keep this one to myself for much longer :)

Red Ricordia !!

Acquiring this one comes with a story....nevertheless I am beyond pleased as they are extremely rare and stunning!

I have always loved Ricordia Shrooms and have had great success - with them budding as they shift around - given with the more common colors (green, pink and orange). I had 4 orange buds from a single Ricordia in a week :)

Whilst most recommended placements for Ricordia is lower light with low-medium flow, I have always had mine under full light and strong flow and they seem to prefer this.

I thought I will move the Red Ricordia to slow flow and low light to see if this had a positive impact - didn’t work, so I moved it back...

Let me know what you think!? ;)

image.jpg

Aqaunino and tekkengal like this.
  7. OP
    'D'

'D'

Ok, so back to SPS (couldn’t help myself with the Ricordia :m04:)

The next SPS is:

Blue with purple tip Staghorn - Acropora Formosa

So my tank is 1800x1000x1000 - so from top to bottom is quite deep. I built the rockwork such that it goes up to about 700 so that still leaves 300 to surface water.

This is why the Staghorn is a favorite for me - fast growth and with their long sticks, fill up some of the ‘open’ space.

image.jpg

8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

You have some awesome coral!
    Where did you get the milka, if you don't mind me asking? I have been searching for one for ages.

9. OP
    'D'

'D'

Hello There, thank you for the kind words. I was lucky to find it -ordered in and had delivered from CT. The frag came in round R900. PM me if you are keen, I am sure we can find one for you ;)

Last edited: 7 Jan 2018
    tekkengal likes this.
  10. OP
    'D'

'D'

Morning everyone!

Lime Green Millipora

So the next is the first of a number of Millipora Corals. Milli is a favorite for most SPS enthusiasts as they pop with color and almost seem ‘alive’ with active Polyp extention.

Again, these Corals are placed high up in the tank to ensure they get lots of flow and light.

In my experience they are very sensitive SPS and quickly goes brown with fluctuation in parameters - especially KH. So I really try to keep things as consistent as possible...

I will keep a close eye on this one in the weeks to come and hope that the color remains as vibrant as is today.

227970ED-86E8-4F76-893C-22FBFA326DBA.jpeg

trad and tekkengal like this.
  11. OP
    'D'

'D'

Follow on with the 2nd chalice:

Red and Teal chalice:

I have been searching far and wide for the name associated with this Red and Teal Chalice, yet there seems to be so very many variations of Chalice that I have given up - should any of you have come across this specific one and can assist with the name, I will be most thankful.

I was fortunate to have traded a fellow reefer for this stunning piece. (Same in size as a packet of smokes).

It comes with the red eyes sunk into the teal body - but as it ‘drops’ over the edge, the colors almost melt together and the red becomes more pronounced.

I have placed this on a low outer ledge away from other Corals and with medium flow and light.

4EBA5FB7-C58E-4E85-8C52-82412B2561E7.jpeg

Last edited: 7 Jan 2018
  12. OP
    'D'

'D'

Following the previous post of the Red and Teal Chalice - I found one online (closest I have come)

SLA MIAMI HURRICANE CHALICE

What do you think - could this be the same?!?

A9C61A38-EBFE-4730-A9FE-069A4BF8CFBF.jpeg

Barlan likes this.
  13. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

You got pm :biggrin:

14. OP
    'D'

'D'

So, the next one has actually come to save me....

I have always loved the Nuclear-Green-Polys but my cowfish developed a keen taste for these bright Polyps! Should he get to them, he swoops in and leaves nothing behind....so I needed to make a plan :)

Montipora Digitata - Green

I have had this branching Monti for some time and given the growth rates, I thought I will use them to my benefit....so I stuck the Green Polys on a Live rock and positioned Monti branched ‘as a barier’ to the delicacy....in the hope that this would deter the grazing cow :m23:

And it DID!!!

Touch wood - three months and my Polys has grown and I now have two of these inventions!

8385FFE7-2C90-4214-830E-AFD4784A208E.jpeg

tekkengal likes this.
  15. OP
    'D'

'D'

Another favorite of mine given the bright golden color:

Golden Leptastrea

This SPS, in my experience, is a fast grower and encrust with a delightful Golden color. I have found it easy and does not get any special feeding (other than what I dose in the tank)...

Given its non-aggressive nature, placing it between other Corals to cover the LR in high light/flow areas, makes this coral ideal to add some additional color.

0A9CB755-A344-4C40-9F5D-2D9277F3766D.jpeg

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
    Aqaunino likes this.
  16. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

You really have a stunning selection of coral.
    Just a question on the palys, do they not sting the monti or is the damage minimal?

17. OP
    'D'

'D'

So far they have a symbiotic relationship...I have seen no impact on the Monti and the branches have full Polyp extension....took a chance and has paid of :lol:

tekkengal likes this.
  18. OP
    'D'

'D'

Ok - So whilst we are on the Monti's, thought i will continue and share some of the stunning pieces.

Superman Montipora Digitata:

I am a massive sucker for colour as that is what makes a reef extra special. You can therefore imagine my excitement when I managed to get BOTH the Branching and Encrusting Superman Monties :) My experience with Monties has always been good - Fast Growth in high flow and light positions and whilst I have read that the Superman Monti (especially the Branching one), tends to lose colour, I am very excited to see how these to pieces progress/grow in the weeks to come. Thus far, I have been blessed with full polyp extension and signs of new growth on both pieces ;)

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

trad, Aqaunino and tekkengal like this.
  19. OP
    'D'

'D'

Something that adds additional spunk and hopefully the Red/Pink colour is the next addition.

Red Planet Acropora:

The Red Planet Acropora is a well known favourite with most reef enthusiast, and with me it's no different. Whilst still small, this colony has settled well (High Flow, High Light) and had full polyp extension since day one. The colours have to still come through more (Dark Pink to Red with a bright green base).
    I am sure that should I be able to maintain stable parameters, this guy will be an amazing piece or focal point in the DT.

I will keep you posted on how it colours up during the next couple of weeks ;)

IMG_8596.jpg

20. OP
    'D'

'D'

@tekkengal - thank you for always liking my posts....i am writing Just for You - Hahahaha

21. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Dude, your coral listing is to die for. I don't know if anyone else realises the amazing collection you got going. The red planet is absolutely delish. I can't wait to see what coral you are going to post next! :)

'D' likes this.

Recent Posts