Graphite

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by seank, 20 Aug 2009.

1. seank

seank

It may look as if this thread is in the wrong Forum, but in time you'll understand.

I need to ask a question (or more) for the guys who knows something about Graphite.

1.) Will Graphite perish if submerged under water?

2.) Can Graphite be underwater for long periods of time?

3.)Where can I buy Graphite sheets or pieces (about 400mm x 400mm)?

4.)Is there different sheet thickness available, eg 5mm etc?

5.)Will Graphite give off a chemical of some sort, influencing the water parameters??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am not a Graphite Fundy but most electronic probes are made of graphite as are some impellers and shafts.

What's ya up to lad?:sifone:

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Don't know nothing about graphite, but my impellors are made from carbon fibre rods, very strong but I fear they will wear down over time. Just thought I would add that comment for the hell of it :p

PM our local Engineer (Hennie) and ask for his comment. He hasn't read this thread yet and might miss it. Neil H might know something about this as well as he is a Geologist I think.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmmm... is graphite not a form of carbon fiber. It is closely related to coal/anthracite.:whistling:

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

7. keyaam

keyaam

With all the random threads recently, I would love to know what you up to Sean.

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Sean are you holding back on us...:whistling:

9. FransSny

FransSny

sean, what i know is that graphite wont perish under water, it is quite wear resistant that is why it is used in cooling systems, heat excangers etc. Also fishing rods

Some Hobby shops sell it in rod form

10. seank

seank Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.... Really appreciate. Will also call upon NeilH and Hennie.

Frans, do you know if it release any toxins??

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Graphite is just carbon so I can't imagine it doing anything to water quality. It is however not very wear resistant. So if you used it for a pump shaft, it will wear away quickly (I tried this)...

12. moz

moz

Pure Graphite is very stable (used as high temp lubricant), so it should not release anything into the water, but like Manic said its not very wear resistant, look at pencils the higher the B number the more graphite the softer the pencil.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

chemically graphite is the same as a diamond, essentially a low pressure low temperature form of carbon. I highly doubt it would impact the water quality or leach anything into the water.

More importantly, what you up to Sean .... You not holding out on us are you?

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@ Neil H i think what Sean is inquiring is the Graphite Fiber sheeting that is similar to fiber glass. So it is a Graphite fiber compound set in a resin of sorts.
    Well that is what my take on it is.

15. Andreas

Andreas

You must be planning to build a new boat:p

16. seank

seank Thread Starter

:lol: @ you all... Neil, I am looking for the same graphite sheets/strips we use to strenghten Concrete slabs (I used it once in the building industry to strengthen a concrete Lintol- and it strengthened it by 40 times if I recall correctly) . So I suppose it was Chemical Graphite. The thing is- I can only get strips of this stuff from Sica, but the strips is not wide enough for the purpose I want to use.

To all the other guys- it has to do with the tank- Yes, and it involves a beach, waves etc etc- but inside the tank.. Hope that'll cure your curiousity:whistling:

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Back to the speculation think tank.:sifone:

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Oh dear..... Sean gonna end up breaking all his High Modular Graphite fishing rods soon :lol:

19. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Sean, give a company called AMT a call.
    I know the one in Cape Town was doing graphite as waell as carbon fibre moulding at a stage, they should be able to assist you

20. seank

seank Thread Starter

Thank you Zombie. Will do

21. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Oops, I'm late on this one...

Neil H and Moz are correct, PURE graphite, being carbon, won't be harmful to the tank (although the graphite might be dissolved by bacteria, as it is a carbon source...) I also think that algae will grow well on it for the same reason (but that's pure speculation).
    You're talking about something like C-Grid.

From AZoM:

and

Sea water is not as alkaline as concrete, so this would most likely not be a major issue for what you want to use it for. I have never used this type of product, so I'm talking without any experience, but my understanding is that the strength of these products lie in the fibres being encased in a high-strength resin. If you are planning on using the fibre mats with resin, I would say; "Go for it".

Many years ago I built a racing Kayak using a fabric called Bidim - I'm sure you've used Bidim or similar filter fabric in your line of work as well *drain linings, etc.) The kayak was about twenty times stronger than a similar one built with fibreglass, but the problem was that the Bidim did not "dissolve" in the resin, and it therefore did not like to be formed into tight-radiused shapes.

Hennie

Recent Posts