Gr8 old S.A.

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by martin, 6 Jan 2009.

1. martin

martin Reef Adict

Gr8 old S.A. I miss you.....................
    Started work today after being on leave since the 15th, things a bit slow so I arranged a game of golf.
    Apparently at 2:15PM the power went off at my neighbours and my house, I got home at 4:35 PM.
    4:40pm phoned Telkom - Yes butha we are working on the proobleem.
    6:30pm - Sorry we are not aware of any power failure but will give urgent attention.
    9:05pm - Yes but ah thee teechnichiaans are working on the matta
    00:15am - Yes but ah thee teechnichiaans .................................................

Luckily I have a power backup system which runs for about 8hrs pushing about 15000lph for flow and luckily I have a 2.7KV gene to charge this unit and to keep the Bearded Dragons and their 60 babies warm!!!!!

I took a drive around and found our power box open, this after a mega storm aswell and ontop of the open box is blown tripswitch (half melted) so oh boy this is gonna be a looooong night - its now 02:22 am.
    My thoughts on the New S.A. and goverment and councils = :censored:

Last edited: 6 Jan 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hill

Hill

You got the heading all wrong. It is "Gr8 NEW SA".

Once you realise how little has been spent on maintenance on any infrastructure in the last 14 years you will be appalled.

Expect power problems well into the future.
    Next will be sewage and water problems.

ENJOY the NEW SA

4. nimmo

nimmo

re: day at work=playing golf

Is it true that in Auckland you don't need to work and can take off time to play golf whenever you want?
    and still have 1st world resources and facilities?

I thought New Zeelanders worked pretty hard and strict - like in europe? In order to keep up the high 'standard of living'?

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

You see herein lies the problem, Telkom dont fix power failures:razz: :peroni:

Incedently, I spent some time with a very well travelled Dutch couple over the holidays, this gentleman retires in 4 year in Holland and is adement he is retiring in SA. His brother in law moves next month to Plett. Both of them have travelled all over the world, extensively both for work and pleasure. And still out of every country they have spent time in, has seen major installations happen hear and knows all about power cuts, still want to live here. Makes you think.

6. Hill

Hill

Ha Ha I wish. More laid back than SA, but we still work hard. It is pretty expensive to live here. One cannot afford to rest too much. :nono:

7. Pete

Pete

:lol: Kanga he must have got a bum line phoned escom and came through at telkom,,dont worry Martin we know what you meen. But like we say welcome to the new SA hope you enjoy your stay here have a :peroni: we can work on the problem later

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

It is called "The grass is greener on the other side" - perfectly normal human nature.

Go live in some of these 1st world countries and certain ex-pats just can't get used to it.

And it is the same vice versa.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

"Been there, done that" - lived in Europe for 6 years - and travelled A LOT! (seen 23 countries).... In The Netherlands - we had seasonal power outages, when there were heavy snow falls - then the power went out. Difference being that there nearly EVERYTHING in the house worked on natural LP gas - and NOT electricity. So, the central heating was NOT impacted, neither was cooking food.....
    So - the 3 basic requirements of living (food, using the loo, and heat) was taken care of by natural LP gas.... and NOT electricity!
    In the UK - we had MORE power outages than EVER in SA.... due to "branches falling on electrical cables"..... this happened at least 20 times a year where we lived (AND worked!)....

So - about the grass being greener "on the other side" - I dunno ABOUT THAT.... it might "taste differently" - but there would STILL be some cow crapping on it, AND p'ing on it! No matter WHERE you go....

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

:yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

11. goodisor

goodisor

All I can say is,guys there is a demand for all sorts of skills overseas and they apparently like employing South Africans.So if you have had enough of this place then leave.It doesnt help to run the place down all the time,it just creates negativity.This is a beautiful land and it is mine,so I will not just sit and run it down on the verbal frontier,but rather build it up and encourage others to do the same......woo hoo...go SA:yeahdude:

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yeah Goodisor - I always tell everyone I talk to - seeing that I "have been there, done that" - people should NOT go overseas because of the wrong reasons.... trying to "flee something" that they are not happy with in SA, is NOT the right reason - they will JUST be even MORE unhappy, and return, needing to "start all over" in SA again....
    This country indeed has a LOT to offer - and if you keep your eyes open - has a LOT of GREAT opportunities work-wise as well.....

BUT - I will NEVER stop anyone from wanting to "go overseas" - people GROW UP there.... become REALLY mature.... as there - you are really treated like crap, and HAVE no-one to "fall back on".... no support structure!

Every South African going "overseas" eventually comes back..... Our roots are here!

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

I hear Europe is running out of Natural Gas.

The Russians and Ukrainians should be going to war soon.

14. martin

martin Thread Starter Reef Adict

Ja just like our Goverment which is running out of brains who they gonna fight against??

Recent Posts