Got seahorses?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Please, NO angry or racist posts please. They will not be tolerated!!!

An interesting article I came across, something for you to read and be aware of how much these creatures need our help and also explains why Wild Caught (WC) seahorses for the aquarium hobby are so frowned upon.

seah.jpg

Seahorses ¿are facing oblivion in 10 years¿ after stocks are savaged by Chinese medicine industry | Mail Online

I think we need to seriously encourage breeding of seahorses. Worthwhile cause or not?

It's shocking what our human race is coming to with regard to our beautiful world. I just watched a program on MM2 'The Cove' on how Japan are killing dolphins in huge numbers because they see them as threat to their fish stocks. Its really heart sore to see this senseless killing for no real apparent reason!!!!!

Makes me so angry that people can just purposely kill seahorses. Then people are also collecting sea turtle eggs which is leading to the decline in the sea turtle population too!

After having kept seahorses I have seen how amazing they are and this is really sad.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein.

We, the superior race that have been put on earth to look after all these creatures will not rest until the last one is dead or in captivity. Such a sad world we live in.

... looks like the other bags are filled with pipefish! let's start a rumour...
"eating a poachers heart will cure aids"!
just an attempt to put the shoe on the other foot as it were..

Just a thought and a bit of a devil's advocate.

Yes it is sad that all these sea horses are being wild caught and dried for food and medicine.

It is also sad that tuna, sardines, cob, etc are also wild caught and end up in tins or frozen food packs.

It is also sad that chickens, lambs, cows, pigs etc also end up in a supermarket.

It is also sad that wild caught marine ornamental also end up being exploited.

The thing that i find difficult to grasp is that some things are considered OK and others are not. Surely the above examples are the same. If so then shouldn't they receive the same negative publicity and boycott action.

The difference is NJ, we don't kill lambs and chickens to make libido boosters...

Just a thought and a bit of a devil's advocate.

Yes it is sad that all these sea horses are being wild caught and dried for food and medicine.

It is also sad that tuna, sardines, cob, etc are also wild caught and end up in tins or frozen food packs.

It is also sad that chickens, lambs, cows, pigs etc also end up in a supermarket.

It is also sad that wild caught marine ornamental also end up being exploited.

The thing that i find difficult to grasp is that some things are considered OK and others are not. Surely the above examples are the same. If so then shouldn't they receive the same negative publicity and boycott action.

Strange place to be in...I enjoy meat,chicken & fish alike.I work for a fishing company and enjoy angling.I will put a Yellow Tail that I just caught on the grill but when a fish passes on in my aquarium I am sad? Crazy I tell you.

Yes, there's plenty of things wrong with the way we live, no point in being pedantic about the whole 'humane issue' and what we eat, we can't fix all of them, I can't breed cows in my back garden and I can't breed Tuna in my swimming pool, but what I CAN do is be proactive and try to breed seahorses. It's something that I know a little bit about and something that I am fully capable of doing, I'm totally incapable of saving the Rhino because I simply don't know how, but I can help save the seahorse, or at least give it a real good try.

So anyway, back to my original question, why aren't we breeding seahorses in SA, or are we? Should we encourage it? I think we should.

Back
Top Bottom