Gorgonian

Reaction score
I wonder if their is anyone that keeps gorgonians. If so what is the feeding routine and what type of food? Flow requirements? What species?

Hey Alfie,
I am a big fan of gorgonians and I have a page dedicated to their ID and general care requirements here.

All gorgonians require strong water motion. The body plan of gorgonians is designed to maximize particle capture. They should be offered small nutritious particles whether or not they are photosynthetic. Photosynthetic species do best in intermediate to strong light intensity but the diet requirements of many non-photosynthetic species are not yet well understood.

Some easy ones to start with include Muricea, Eunicea and Pseudopterogorgia.
What kinds of gorgonians are available to South African aquarists?

Thanks for that Coralite, they are lovely corals:)

What kinds of gorgonians are available to South African aquarists?

Thanks coralite. Had no idea Briareum was a Gorgonian.

As for the question; to be honest i don't think i have ever seen my LFS offering gorgonians. A great pity. We do have some local ones on the Sunny East Coast of South Africa, that are really cool. Eunicella, Leptogorgia palma, Virgularia, Eleutherobia, Acabaria rubra.

Love Gorgs and similar corals.
Here’s one of mine.

GorgWhip.jpg

GorgWhip1.jpg

GorgWhip2.jpg

Hi Alfie - the LFS in Bree Str sometimes get's the exact same type in that Mille has - I bought two from them.... Mine does not look so stunning though.

Mille - do you feed your specifically? What do you feed it (if you do)?
Also - Mille - what's the name of the species again? I knew but forgot...

Many thanks - Jacques

Back
Top Bottom