Gorgonian ID Please

Reaction score
Hi there

Im trying to catalogue all my coral specimens in my tank and would like the scientific names for these species

Left - the 'stems' are flat with polyps only opening on either of the ends?? - sorry dont have a pic with polyps open

Centre - commonly known as golden california gorgonian - is this Muricea californica??

Right - I think this is Muriceopsis flavida - commonly know as Purple Brush Fan?? This specimen came in distressed and I had to cut it down more than 50%, hence its odd shape

OceanseekerAquarium-168.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I'm not to clued up on them..actually I don't know them at all..:blush:..Did find this for you from one of the Internet Sites..hope this will help you as it does show some different Species...:blush:
Browse Species in Gorgonians (Holaxonia)

Last edited:
Hi
I'm not to clued up on them..actually I don't know them at all..:blush:..Did find this for you from one of the Internet Sites..hope this will help you as it does show some different Species...:blush:
Browse Species in Gorgonians (Holaxonia)

I havent pinned down the id on this one, but will call him Rusty

Most people dont want to have anything brown in the tank, but there is just something really intriguing about this species. I prefer to calling it golden instead of rusty

Here is a closeup pic of the Rusty/Golden Gorgonian

OceanseekerAquarium-169.jpg

Rusty Gorgonian
QUICK STATS - liveaquaria.com

Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium to Strong
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Tan, White, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Gorgoniidae

The Rusty Gorgonian is common among the reefs of the Caribbean and grows in a vertical, tree-like fashion. The branches are yellow to brown in appearance and have a bumpy texture when the polyps are not expanded. The polyps of this gorgonian are very small and white, and are often expanded during the daytime. This gorgonian is hardier than many of its counterparts and will add to your reef aquarium’s diversity.

The Rusty Gorgonian is peaceful, but it should be given adequate space away from neighboring corals or anemones. Underwater epoxy is commonly used to anchor its base to a piece of live rock in the reef aquarium. It is more challenging to maintain this species, as they require supplemental feeding several times per week. This gorgonian is photosynthetic and requires a moderate amount of light depending on the amount of filter feeding food that is available. It also requires a stronger water flow and the addition of iodine, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

In order to inhibit algae and cyanobacteria growth, it is important that this gorgonian is provided with a medium to strong, constant or intermittent water flow. If in the event that it does begin to become covered with algae or cyanobacteria, remove it from the coral immediately, as this will cause rapid tissue deterioration. Algae can be removed gently with the use of a soft brush; combat cyanobacteria by soaking the coral in freshwater of the same temperature for approximately 1 minute.

The Rusty Gorgonian should be fed a few times a week with a filter feeding food. Provide a varied diet of live or frozen baby brine shrimp, Marine Snow, PhytoPlan and other suitable micro foods.

Hi Guys, Im still looking for an ID on this Gorgonian. Here is an update

Since the other pic posted last time which was taken just after introducing it to my main tank, the polyps refused to open. It got completely covered in algae and stayed like that for while. Then just last week it shed a layer and the polyps now open beautifully. I still think its a Photo-synthetic gorgonian. Here is a close up pic to help with an ID on it if anyone can

Close-Up Pic
Oceanseeker500LAquarium-Gorgonians-Unknown.jpg

Full Specimen on LHS Pic
Oceanseeker500LAquarium-Gorgonians-Various.jpg

Hi Guys, I think this is a Pterogorgia anceps or commonly know as Purple Sea Blade

Here is some info from a fellow reefer on another forum

Pterogorgia is beautiful Gorgonian that is often found in a stunning purple color with white polyps that will often extend well beyond the tissue. It is easy to identify as the branches look like they have been flattened and the polyps do not occur all of the way around the branches but only along the edges of the “blades”.

Captive care is similar to many other corals. I have personally had success with this coral under VHO’s, Power Compacts, T5′s, and Metal Halides. I would say that VHOs and T5s resulted in the best growth rates. Make sure you keep a stronger but interrupted current on this coral and keep other corals especially SPS upwind of Pterogorgia. It regularly sloughs off an outer layer of tissue which should be removed from any corals that it settles on. As a rule Gorgonians can be pretty toxic to stony corals (pretty much all corals have some way to defend themselves). So just make sure you give it adequate space.

Feeding and care are really not something I have had to really spend a lot of time on. I have seen the polyps catch fairly large particles of flake food, frozen food, and detritus when I stir it up with the old turkey baster. If you don’t have one it is a great way to stir things up when you are cleaning your tank.

Propogation of Pterogoria and all Gorgonians is very easy. You can cut it with a razor blade or small scissors. The center is going to look like and feel similar to a stick. You can then take out a small rock and superglue the Gorgonian or attach the branch with a zip tie if you can find a small hole in the rock.

Back
Top Bottom