gorgonian care

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by dv8, 13 Jan 2011.

1. dv8

dv8

i'm not in the habit of buying things at the spur of the moment but this was a slightly different situation. i was walking out of my LFS with some RO water when i saw an old class mate of mine on his way in with this beauty in hand. he said it was getting too big for his tank and he wanted to swop it . i have swopped things at the LFS before and ..... lets just say i don't normaly get a good deal. so i bouhgt him something to exchange for the gorgonian.

so now, i want to know what its spesific name is, and what i need to do to take the absolute best posible care of it. as far as i know, good flow, no need for good light, and BBS for feading. but how mutch food, how often, and is there anything els i need to know or do?

here is a pic. at the end of the deal it cost me R280. was that a bargain? i think so[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looks like Yellow Finger Gorgonian (Diodogorgia nodulifera).
    These corals will also benefit from the addition of iodine, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. it should be fed a few times a week with a filter feeding food, baby brine shrimp, Marine Snow as its non-photosynthetic

4. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

trace elemants already get added. so feading tubeworm food should help?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes it would, also feeding with a turkey baster up current and allow the ood to flow over the polyps

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

awsome im also looking for a few, my one is doing very well and has doubled in size..

7. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

perhaps we can swop frags when mine is well established . how do you care for yours les? no special treatmont? i'm thinking of a small pony tank with gorgonian in, then all that need BBS get fed same time.

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

thanks for the link tobes, most helpfull, i should be o k . just to abreviate for other who may stumble appon this thread in search of advice for gorgonians.

-non photosynthetic ,they don't use the light to servive or make food (although i'm sure that they would need some light as they grow upward like a tree)
    -they can be fead with similer stuff used for filter feaders(use turky baster) and BBS
    -don't let it get covered with algea
    -they like good water movement, eratic, not constant only

is that about it in a nutshell?

10. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

STUNNING specimen that. And yes, Dallas on the ball, that is a yellow finger gorgonian, and definetly NPS.

Feed it as much as possible, with small particle sized foods. I have not really seen large polyps gorgonians like these and menella reacting too much on filter feeder foods, so rather stick with the baby brine, cycop-eeze and larger zooplankton the the Brigthwell version.

These specific gorgonians likes good linear flow more than the chaotic flow other corals prefer.

Be cautios of fragging and tissue loss... If it starts peeling of and you can see parts of it breaking off like when you remove chicken from the bone, the gorgonian might have a bacterial infection - they are quite prone to it.

I have read in a few instances that gorgonians can be exptremely hard to care for, right up there with dendronephtya, but I have not experienced this to be honest. I know that smaller polyped gorgonians can be more challenging like Acabaria sp. and Swiftia sp. as particle size must be almost perfect for them. These ones I recon are a bit more forgiving at particle size and flow.

Just remember; ALOT of mouths to feed so feed as regularly as possible, in fact daily is best.

Then;

I would never recommend this... Reason being that the pony attaches itself on the gorgonian causing polyps stripping and the gorgonian dies. It is just a waste. Rather get a dead gorgonian from a LFS or fellow reefer. In the ocean a seahorse has many gorgs to cling onto, so they do not cause as much damage, in a small tank with only one gorgonian, it is fatal.

Enjoy it!!! :thumbup:

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

;)Correction;

Many divers would tell you there are gorgonians growing upside down in caves... In fact, I have found gorgonians to be at their happiest if they are placed horizontal on cliffs and overhangs.

Gorgonians grow with wather movement. This, you will find it grows like a tree high up on a cliff where the wind always blows East for example.

So gorgonians will grow with the flow, to best adapt to their hunting requirements.

This is why many (most actually) gorgonians grow like a fan shape, and not a bush / tree shape. They fan out spread agains the current bes suited for them to capture as much pray as possible.

Then just again on flow, you might get away with eratic flow here, but in my experience they seek a bit more linear. The best flow I have found is like linear flow every 5 seconds then just a small burst of opposite flow.

A tip: If your gorgonian is taking too much linear flow, here is how you would know;

If the flow is coming from left to right, and all the polyps opening up are on the right (thus downstream) the linear flow is too much or too strong. They are supposed to open up all the way around the gorgonain body.;)

The problem with such flow, is food will pass from left to right, but it would miss many polyps as the polyps are facing the oposite direction.

Another tip: Sit and watch your gorgonian whilst eating. If the food particles hit the polyp, but then gets pulled off again by the current or just bounces off the poylps, then the flow is too much. This is the dificulty with small polyp gorgonians.;)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  12. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

wow, i realy apreciate all the help, i also read your explination on NPS most helpfull. i was realy keen on the ponies idea but will rather not do that after your advise. thank you for the help. i think that should be about all i need to know on NPS

13. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

just a quiek upd8 if you compare the first pic to the new one you should see quite a difference my gorgonian is in full "bloom" for most of the day as i feed in the morning, and the most interesting part is what i feed, its just my home made fish food. the polyps seem to be feading on the bits of food, but i guess i can't be sure that it's not being spat out. i think the flow is most important, i have the water flowing into the corner of the tank so that it is not directly against the gorgonian whitch is place + - 15cm away from the sides. allowing water to move past it rather than through it.

i hope that was of some help. here is a pic of how it looks now[​IMG]

Recent Posts