Gorgonian Care and Feeding

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Alfie, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Alfie

Alfie

Ok so I have always wanted Gorgonians and now I have ended up with what appears to be Diodogornia nodulifera, not close to what I thought I was getting. So be it, I now have to give this my best shot to keep them alive and growing. Yes according to all they are not easy to keep and from Aquarium Corals by Eric H Borneman they should be fed regularly and be in strong water flow to prevent the growth of algae on them. Ok so I have them in strong water flow to help assist but Eric also states that they must be brushed regularly to prevent the growth of algae, does anyone know how and with what to brush them? As far as feeding goes I am feeding phytoplankton, cylcopeeze and I am hoping to be feeding rotifers shortly. Is there anything else I should be trying to feed? Any other practical advice and experience will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Alfie - I am sure that you are feeding them the correct stuff - I would suggest target blowing the gorgonian with a turkey baster....

I do not really know of any type of brush that you can "brush" corals with, without damaging them......

I have 2 gorgonian's in my tank, but the species Muricea laxa..... I know that I should be feeding as well - and I am about to start - BUT up to now they have grown quite nicely with the food available to them in my aquarium. They are also photosynthetic....

4. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

These are actually aposymbiotic and as such contain a singular cell. Being singular symbiotic I believe feeding should be available to most calyces to ensure good and healthy growth. Feeding with a baster might not perform this task evenly and a dispursement of food should give results.

Don't know though and anyone wih some more ideas is welcome to jump in here.

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Aquarium Care:
    The gorgonians all need strong currents to help rid themselves of the waxy film that is secreted to rid themselves of algae. Surge devices or turbulent water flow is best.
    Care of Photosynthetic Gorgonians:
    Since they are photosynthetic, they need strong lighting as well as strong currents. Although most are not accustomed to the very strong lights produced by metal halide, it is said that they will eventually adjust and grow faster because of it. Some can be fed while others cannot. In either case photosynthetic gorgonians don't need to be fed in order to survive.
    Care of Non-Photosynthetic Gorgonians:
    For those that need to be fed, feed them at least once a week. Feed detritus, brine shrimp, Daphnia, Cyclops, or pulverized flake food, shrimp or clams. Sometimes you can stir up the gravel slightly in order to mix detritus in the water for feeding the detritus eating species.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Alfie and Mekaeel - thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I agree - I should be feeding, I am just a bit scared to add extra nutrients to my tank, as I am already struggling to get rid of the nuisance algae..........
    BUT, that said - I do feel that I have a LOT of microscopic food-sources in my water-column, as my tank has a in-tank DSB, which assists with the propagation of pods and worms.... Other filter-feeding organisms in my tank thrive (I have thousands of fan-worms and then kin, in my tank)..... I am sure that if they would not have been fed, that they would not proliferate?

I can only think that my gorgonia, as well as other corals thrive due to this....

7. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Jacques you lucky, I am trying to see what the best way would be to get phytoplankton and zooplankton into the system on a regular basis for them to feed on. I am looking at the possibility of more cleaner shrimps as they breed on such a regular basis that they could be provide quite a good source of food for filter feeders.

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Nice, I know Seashell said she feeds Phytoplankon

9. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Cool then I am on the right track at least.

Recent Posts