Goodisors tank

Reaction score
Hi all.By good advice i have been told to post my tank specs here so here goes:
67248f37b0a367f9.jpg

It has been cycling since Jan and I recently added some biorock.
Anyways the specs are:

Display 1500x600x600
Sump: DSB
Skimmer Reefoctopus
Flow in tank: 2xSeio 3200l/h,3xboyu wavemakers,1x2000l/h powerhead
Return:Not sure what it is but gives about 2000l/h back to display
Lighting:2xT5s one blue actinic and one white 8000K(i think,will check),1xt8 blue
LR:20kg fiji and mixed,10kg biorock
Substrate:Dispaly is caribsea aragonite,DSB caribsea aragonite.

Guys this tank has taken me a long time to get going.Mostly because of financial reasons,but also just mistakes and bad luck.This time I really hope to just get it going properly.I plan to have alot of fish in the tank and so am concentrating on the filtration system,but I am sticking to reefsafe fish just incase I go with corals eventually.As you see the pic is as the tank is right now with a single banana wrasse,a small bunck of elephant ears and 2 or three clumps of zoos.SOOOO!!!
The question is: I would like to start buying fish and would like as much advice as possible on where to start and what to do.

There you have it...Please,shoot away
00020142.gif

Looks good, why not create a kind of big cave with a overhang of some sorts? Will look great ;)

If you buy fish, stock slowly - add one or 2 and leave for a week or so for the bacteria to catch up :)

Plan well so that you add the most dominant fish last.

Looking good. Just be patient. Make sure you know about a fish before you add. It can be an expensive mistake. Enjoy the journey!:thumbup:

Great start man..... enjoy the journey

ok goodisor, you have a really nice start there mate:)

a few questions if you dont mind:)

how long have you ahd your bio rock? it still looks really white to me (mine has coloured well and is basically un noticable to an untrained eye), and been in my tank since feb. I would move some of yo\our LR onto it so that it "seeds" with coraline alage and things.

you could also attach some corrals to it...zoas, mushrooms etc

Your lights are low for size, but fine for fish:)

i would check yoir internal flow a little too.....think you may get detritus build up with that placement and the amount of flow.

Now fish :)

what sort of fish do u like? a complex question and the way i approach (accepting i am weird!) is that I look at the substrate level, what would i want to see down there, then mid range, then surface swimming

then who is small enough in my size display? and i mean SMALL enough, not BIG enough....look at full size requirements, not what you might grow and move later.

then look at aggresion, feeding requirements, compatability.

and lastly whats you top fish...whats the one that you loose your breath over. then slowly and i mean slowly work towards getting them:)

ok goodisor, you have a really nice start there mate:)

a few questions if you dont mind:)

how long have you ahd your bio rock? it still looks really white to me (mine has coloured well and is basically un noticable to an untrained eye), and been in my tank since feb. I would move some of yo\our LR onto it so that it "seeds" with coraline alage and things.

you could also attach some corrals to it...zoas, mushrooms etc

Your lights are low for size, but fine for fish:)

i would check yoir internal flow a little too.....think you may get detritus build up with that placement and the amount of flow.

Now fish :)

what sort of fish do u like? a complex question and the way i approach (accepting i am weird!) is that I look at the substrate level, what would i want to see down there, then mid range, then surface swimming

then who is small enough in my size display? and i mean SMALL enough, not BIG enough....look at full size requirements, not what you might grow and move later.

then look at aggresion, feeding requirements, compatability.

and lastly whats you top fish...whats the one that you loose your breath over. then slowly and i mean slowly work towards getting them:)
Ok Crispin a few answers:
Biorock has been in about a month
Internal flow: There are three boyus at the back that you can't see behind the LR in the pic to blow any underlying debris away and then the two Seios and powerhead that you can see.....still not good? or should that be alright?
What fish i like: Well that is difficult,i dont have enough experience,so any good looking fish would do.I love anthias,mandarins and gobies.I haven't even thought about inverts yet.A caliedoscope of colour is what im looking for,lots of fish,movement and colour.
00020294.gif
to do?

Forget a manderin for now, wait a year or longer before adding one. They live on live foods, and will deplete a tank quickly even though you think you have loads of pods ;)

00020110.gif
Im all ears
000200BE.gif

Patience is a virtue for reefkeepers;)

The tank looks good so far, the basics look covered, but i would look at upgrading the lighting to 10,000k T5's (plus a pure blue actinic)
You now have what looks like a blank canvas, i would go for mushies and zoas to get you going, easy to care for corals, forgiving enough to allow our fumblings until you get used to the water changes and testing stuff, good luck and keep going.

Howzit goodisor

Your tank looks good, hope the NSW trip went well.

Why don't you take the 6 x t5's and balists out of my old displays hood (2 x actnic blue 10 000k, 3x white 10 000k and 1 x purple 6 000k) and fit them to your display tank?

I would start with a clean up crew and then buy fish.

4x peppermint shrimps
2x cleaner shrimps
8x blue or red legged hermits
6x turbo snails
8x bumble bee snails
1x blue gilled gobi

Start by adding a tang or two, clowns or damsels (hardy fish which is easy to keep and care for)
:thumbup:

Here is my list of fish that would work:

10 x Green Chromis
5-8 x Anthias

2 x Pajama Cardinals
1 x Redfin Fairy Wrasse
1 x Longnose hawkfish
1 x Longnose Butterfly
1 x Bicolour Blenny
2 x Longfin bannerfish

Decide between chromis and anthias or a mixure and bring the total down.

As said before stocking needs to be done slowly

some good ideas there lv, but IMO damsels sometimes turn out to be trouble, agression and stuff like that, they're fine for starters i think, but they may fight with the other fish you want to add in later which you may hold higher up in your favorites list so i would say stay clear of them. but tangs are good, i love tangs. 1500 is nice and long so it would be cool to see them swimming up and down. if you have the financials try and get your tangs in one go. cause if you add them one at a time the fish that have been in the sytem longer will take the tank to be their territory and they'll fight. if you add them at the same it will be fine, or you could add at different times, but you would have to sump the older fish or rearrange all your rockwork. so its up to you. My bristle was too hard to catch so i ended up re-aquascaping and him and my sailfin are best buds.

If it were my tank i would say
tangs,you might get away with three:
A yellow tang
Sailfin Tang
Any other one really

Try go for some angels, get what you can afford(not sure how many you could keep so here is some ideas)
Flame
Rusty
French
Majestic
Potters etc

With blennys and stuff i would say go for it, but what i noticed was my algae blenny keeps sitting on my Pin cushion and makin it retract its polyps. highly irritatin to me and the leather doesnt like it too much either, so be warned this may happen. But try a midas blenny, theyre gorgeous to contribute to your colours:)

so i've said a few things that are colourful and not too difficult to keep. inverts, in you want a starfish dont get a brittle star, they eat fish generally, so somethin slow like a black tipped fromia starfish would be cool(i have one:thumbup: myself).

All this is IMO

Howzit goodisor

Your tank looks good, hope the NSW trip went well.

Why don't you take the 6 x t5's and balists out of my old displays hood (2 x actnic blue 10 000k, 3x white 10 000k and 1 x purple 6 000k) and fit them to your display tank?

I would start with a clean up crew and then buy fish.

4x peppermint shrimps
2x cleaner shrimps
8x blue or red legged hermits
6x turbo snails
8x bumble bee snails
1x blue gilled gobi

Start by adding a tang or two, clowns or damsels (hardy fish which is easy to keep and care for)
:thumbup:
Thannks LV.I didnt even think to start there.Makes sense to get the cleaning staff ready before the customers arrive. I have written your list down and will see next week at Northlands if they have any of them,hopefully they dont cost an arm and a leg
000200BE.gif

Here is my list of fish that would work:

Shot Warr.Fortunately I have no choice but to do it slowly.That list looks cool.I think im going to start with the Anthias.What is the max I could put in at one time to start with
000200C1.gif

some good ideas there lv, but IMO damsels sometimes turn out to be trouble, agression and stuff like that, they're fine for starters i think, but
All this is IMO

Thanks Scuba.Im going through to Durbs next weekend so will have to see what they have.Will be stocking according to the lists given here on this thread so will definitely give pics as I go.What are the maximum number of fish I can add at any one time.
0002014F.gif

Good point scubaninja

Damsels can become aggressive, but most angels aren't reef safe so bare that in mind for the future.

How did the pump work?

Back
Top Bottom