Good snail or Bad snail?!

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Mrabkin, 28 Jul 2010.

1. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Thats a good snail. I have lots in my tank and they do a great job of keeping the algae in check. Only problem is they have an annoying habit of climbing out.

Limpets are fine, BUT not all the species can adapt to the higher temps of our tanks.

4. xtreme

xtreme

you have to get new ones every week:p

5. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Cool... have had a bit of an issue keeping them in the sump... hopefully closed hood will keep them in. They've POLISHED some of my base rock to their former glory!!

Any pointers to distinguish from good and bad snails in the future?

As for the limpets- not sure what good they do, but they must full some function or mother nature wouldn't have put them in her beautiful system!

Thanks guys... it's like having a panel of experts to advise my every move.

6. 459b

stick to collecting the ones you posted. Some of the other gastropods are carnivorous so may be risky putting them in your tank.
    Unless the lid is air tight, they will find a way out. Seeing as you live at the coast, you can go and collect new ones every month. My hermit crabs enjoy pulling them out their shells so i have to collect rather often.

Limpets are also algae eaters. Some species are very specific about which algae they eat. Youll notice at the beach how coralline encrusted rocks are habitated by the same species of limpet. So if you put the wrong one in your tank, you may end up causing more harm than good. You can also keep them in your tank, but as i mentioned earlier, its hit or miss if they will survive.

7. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Great advice. Thanks.

I was actually on a hermit crab mission when i collected these guys- wasn't after them at all actually.

I must have walked 2km up and down the beach- nets buckets (permit) you name it!!
    No fish- i mean not one!!
    No crabs- not hermit or otherwise
    No Stars
    No urchins
    2 strawberry nemmies (cold water- so I left them)

I found this very disturbing... and concerning!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, snails with round opening are normally vegetarian. So that is one pointer.
    This is not a golden rule, but if in doubt, it is better than none. There are some vegatarian with oblong openings, like conches, but you are more likely to pick up a Muricidea or Cone snail.

Also, Knysna water is too cold, snails will eventually die. Or climb out to cool down.

Also I found that snails you collect at the beach, being intertidal area, tend to climb out anyway. Especially in the first 3-4 months and more likely around fullmoon. Every morning you do a quick check around the tank to pick them up. Bad luck those who fell in behind the tank. Also Euro bracing helps a lot in keeping them inside. They climb up until upside down, then they stay. Rimless, they go over and onwards... to the floor.

Eventually the snails will stay inside, or underwater.

9. 459b

i collect my snails on the west coast and they all do very well. Things thaqt live in rock pools can tolerate huge fluctuations in temp, salinity, etc.
    The snails dont climb out to cool down. Intertidal snails do spend alot of time out of water with the fluctuating tides and can often be found high above the high water mark.

Recent Posts