good or bad?

Hi Richard - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! I might have missed your introduction to MASA. If you have not introduced yourself yet, please do so, by creating a new thread in the "New Members" section, telling us about yourself, your tank/s and your reefkeeping experience?

To answer your question:
Pic 1) majano anemone - these are quite pretty, but are considered a pest anemone. Not as bad as the aptiasia (glass) anemone - these quickly become a huge pest in our tanks....
Pic 2) not too sure - might be a zoanthid of sorts...... but might also be majano (that is "stressed")
Pic 3) and Pic 4) - seems to be some macro algae - either turtle weed, or something similar.

Perhaps someone else can chip in?

Thanks.
Since all I will be keeping for the first year or so is some live rock and a pair of clown fish (in a few months) until I am happy with controlling the water quality I think I will keep them for the time being.??

Why are they considered a pest?

Cant do anything about the zoanthid being stressed as i am cycling the tank.
I will keep my eye on the algae - turtle weed.

looks like majano, they grow very fast and tend to take over like Aipthasia, they sting every coral near it. if u leave them in now, you might not be able to get rid of it later, they will be every where taking over. they are pretty but they are bad

The same way as killing off aptaisia, Richard....

ie: get yourself a new syringe (only for use with your aquarium) - make slaked lime (gebluste kalk) (you get this in a white powder form from your local pharmacy - Alpha brand or similar) paste, by mixing the slaked lime powder with RO (reverse osmosis filtered) water.......... the use this concoction to inject the majano with...

You can also try using white spirits vinegar, or lemon juice.....

masahello

Back
Top Bottom