Good or Bad Algae

Reaction score
Just a quick question.

I currently have a 90l tank with about 7kg LR which is slowly growing algae.
I'm not entirely sure if its good or bad. I've managed to get rid of cyano about 2 months ago with an entire overhaul of the tank, water and crushed coral so I don't want to have to do the same again.

I've got a fine green hair algae, fine light brown hair algae and a thicker red/brown hair algae growning on my LR. I'd like to introduce a herbivorous fish but I'm not sure which algae it will eat and whether the algae I've got is a nuisance.

Pls help

Hi Pads - how old is your tank at the moment?

Also - can you perhaps post some pictures of the algae? Are you sure it is indeed algae? The green hair algae is quite self-explanatory. The other 2? This might even be some other type of cyano?

The best herbavorous fish to go for in this case, would be a lawnmower blennie.... You will have some major issues with tangs - just in case you thought of introducing tangs..... They will not be able to survive in a 90 litre tank. They require a HUGE swimming space....

Please post some pics for us?

I've had the tank running since mid July. 3 months of which has been with the live rock and a few tank mates.

I tested the parameters a few days ago and I've the only one slightly out is is the nitrates. its about 10 ppm/l.

The red/brown algae look similar to the cyano but its localised to one small spot on the LR and hasn't spread to the the crushed coral as was the problem previously.

I've looked at some really nice large reef tanks and none seem to have the same hair algae, green or brown. Is it coz the tangs chow it all or has is got to do with the filtering system. My tank only have a filter box in the back with wool and a few bio balls.

I don't have photo's right now. Will take some when I'm at home again.

No problems Pads. Regarding the other tanks you are talking about. It is MOST likely because of the filtration system. In many established full reef tanks (with a lot of corals, etc) the tangs (and all other fish) have to fed a LOT of food, because of the size of the filtration system, which removes so MUCH of crap out of the water, that the algae does not get a foothold at all.

In your case, it seems that the "algae" (possibly cyano), is localized. This means that the live rock might possibly be leaching out phosphates/nitrates - where this nitrates/phosphates is not being leached to the rest of the tank water, only very close to the rock itself.

Welcome to MASA Pads. You mentioned crushed coral - how fine/coarse is it? I would get rid of those bio balls, that and the crushed coral can be the cause for the high nitrates because detritis accumulates in them.

Thx JacquesB, that helps. The difference from when I added LR from regular rock is insane I just don't want to ruin the life on it with algae. I'll reduce my light cycle and see if I can stunt its growth.

Hey Tobes, I've got the crushed coral chips. I recently added a hermit to try improve the cleaning but i think I might need another. this little guy seems a little lazy.

Will removing the bio balls help to reduce my nitrates? How do I treat it otherwise?

How big in mm is the crushed coral chips? If the substrate is too coarse there is a lot of "openings" inbetween them to accumulate waste (uneaten food and fish poo) and needs to be vacuumed regularly.
A lot of crap gets stuck in the bio-balls and usually cause high nitrates. You must also replace the filter wool every week.
Do you have a skimmer in the system?

I'm a bit embarassed by it but I've got a Jebo skimmer. It seems to work a treat in my tank but takes up much needed space. The crushed coral chips are about 5 -15mm

I hear what you saying about the waste. Its quite hard to get hold of the finer coral sand in JHB, plus i've just bough a 15kg bag of the coral chips. I've got some gravel in the tank which I can mix up with the coral chips thus keeping the calcium contributer in the water. You had a photo up of the Achilles Tang.

I've taken a liking to them. How are they in captivity?

Oh, yesterday I got 2 red leg hermits which are picking the algae right off my LR. Top Stuff!

You can use reggies play sand, just wash it very well. You then replace a quarter of the coarse substrate at a time and wait about 2 weeks inbetween - it will save you a lot of headaces ;) - let's hear what the gurus say.
That tang is not mine, borrowed it from the gallery :p , I think they're not for beginners, gets white spot easily like the powder blue and powder brown :(

. Is it coz the tangs chow it all or has is got to do with the filtering system. My tank only have a filter box in the back with wool and a few bio balls..
DONT DISPOSE OF THE CRUCHED CORAL PUT IT IN YOUR FILTER BOKS. I had an 110l same as your's and incase of the bio balls I had filter goss. So I added crused coral to my filter:wave2:;)

Hi
Can you help me I rely got a ploblem I got so much green Hairy Algae

DONT DISPOSE OF THE CRUCHED CORAL PUT IT IN YOUR FILTER BOKS. I had an 110l same as your's and incase of the bio balls I had filter goss. So I added crused coral to my filter:wave2:;)
You just answered your own question. One of the reasons you have hair algae is more than likely due to the large crushed coral in your filter that is trapping waste and detritus and you have a nitrate/phosphate build up causing the hair algae to grow. Get rid of it.

Hair algae feeds on phosphate. Run your skimmer wet, reduce your lighting period, remove the bio balls and large crushed coral over a period of about 1 week, do regular water changes and you should slowly start seeing an improvement.

ml you got phosphate problems:) even if you cant test for it that algae growing shows that its there....nature is alawys a good indicator.

Viper has it spot on, you'd do well to listen to his advice, although i think he isnt explaining it in enough detail (no disrespect viper, i just think the fella isnt follwing you advice that well:)).

and pads, again the advice on changing your substrate is a good idea too:) have a look at warr's thead he is using reggies play sand in his display and its a cheap easy ulternative, or if you wnat to come see my tank with crushed coral in as substrate you are welcome to join the reef meet on sunday at my place:)

perhaps you should get a camera and post a few pics of your tank and ask about what guys think of the algae in your thread, you might get better advice there:)

ml what skimmer are you running? Running a skimmer wet means you raise the water level in the skimmer so it pulls out a very light coloured waste.

'Run your skimmer wet"
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

If your skimmer allows you to, increase the air bubbles until a more watery skimmate is produced, not too weatery so that it fill is minutes but watery enough to fill the cup in 24 - 48 hours, but keep an eye on top ups and SG if you do this.

Back
Top Bottom