Good LFS in Durban/umhlanga area?

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by jaybeepee, 2 Nov 2010.

1. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Anyone know of a good LFS in Durban, preferably umhlanga area?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

Northlands Pets in Springfield.

in Umhlanaga area is Julies Pets in Gateway. Not sure about any others.

4. durleo

durleo

Julies Pets - Gateway Shopping Center
    Northlands Pets - Springfield Park
    Natures Petland - Crescent Shopping Center near gateway

5. Andreas

Andreas

None of these can compare to what you guys have available in JHB though. Stock is very low at the best of times and quality mmmmmmm.

6. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

yep we got the short end of the stick when it came to marine stores here,

7. SIMS

SIMS

Northlands is ok, Julies never has anything when I go there and for the last one I would not buy anything if it was the last shop in the world.

8. magman

magman

Cassim is by far the best (Julies Pets), just go though when he gets a shipment. His water is .018-.022 for the fish, so just drip them accordingly, his corals and inverts is 0.023. But for service and quality, Julies is no1, and for price too.

Northlands is ok if you 100% full QT your new fish (I have learnt the hard way and all fish go through qt now), but otherwise they have good selection and price, I did buy an expensive fish there, which had disease on, and they are prepared to replace it when another comes in (still waiting though and the managers never there when I phone, nor does he reply), but still if they do replace it then that's service)

The other LFS, which has a branch in Springfield also, and in the Cresent in Umchlanga, I wont even buy aipitasia there, they are a complete rip off and there fish are the worst possible quality you can buy. There must be so much disease in there, and they obviously do not acclimitise there fish, don't even go there cause they are a rip off, they should not be selling marines. (no names mentioned)

Soon though I will be getting a few expensive fish, and I will order them from JHB or capetown, rather pay for the quality through the price and shipping, much more worth it on the more expensive fish and cheaper in the long run

9. danimal

danimal

agree with the above two guys. cassim is a legend and generally has good healthy stock. northlands are also good okes, never had any prolems but they aren't cheap.

natures petlands however... i have a very big gripe with. their stock is not healthy at all and i dont think they have any clue as to how to actually run a pet shop, let alone marines. most of their staff are uninterested and clueless. I will never support them. made that mistake twice, and paid dearly both times.

my 2c :)

10. durleo

durleo

ITs funny you guys say that cos - i was over at natures petland last week and they are usually very un-interested and dont have a clue about their livestock. It was interesting to see a guy who used to work for Northlands for a while. He has been employed by Natures Petland owners to jack up the marine section. He told me that they are already getting different suppliers and he will be teaching them how to acclimatise the fish properly. I hope he can turn that ship around and turn it into a good LFS. I can only imagine the amount of livestock that die in their poor owners tanks due to poor information.

11. magman

magman

About a year ago, at the cresent branch, I was looking for a pin cushion, they had one there, so I asked if it had opened at all, so the guy who was attending me goes to the desk where you pay, asks his mate, his mate says to him "just tell the customer that it's only closed now becasue we have just done a water change", they did not realise I was standing behind the attendant.
    I was there about a month ago, and there fish are always in bad condition, and expensive, I checked a regal tang with black ich they were selling for R850, and a powder blue on death's door for R850 also, I asked them how they could sell a fish like that, and the guy said "there's nothing wrong with it", this was the other branch in springfield. I did check though some nice starfish that I liked, but I wont support them out of principle.

12. SIMS

SIMS

Well we shall see

Last edited: 2 Nov 2010
  13. Andreas

Andreas

I had an interesting discussion with the manager at the Springfield branch once:whistling:They sell regal tangs for R1000 bucks and they are in the worst possible condition you can imagine and yet he tells me they pay more for good quality livestock therefore their prices are more:nono:Obviously he doesn't know what healthy fish are suppose to look like. Apparently they have clients in Umhlanga that are prepared to pay the price for their livestock:whistling:

I've bought quite a number of fish(Yellows, flame etc) from Cassim when I had my 1.8m and never lost any livestock. His marine facilitity is small so best bet will be to get there when he gets his shipments like magman has said.

14. durleo

durleo

Yeah - the staff need a serious waking up. That coloured oke thinks he is God - you got to beg him to get prices. Who would pay R350 for a blue/green chromis? Yellow Tang R1400? they need to ditch Nutrafin and start stocking Salifert test kits and Seachem stuff aswell.

15. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

LOL, thanks for the all the replies, I take it we are quite spoilt up here :p

16. SIMS

SIMS

Durleo what are you talking about - Nutrafin is by far a the best products you can find :p

17. SIMS

SIMS

you have no idea

Recent Posts