Good international online sale sites?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Dane, 26 Feb 2011.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey guys,

Just wanted to open up a thread. I'm not sure if this is in violation of MASA policies re sponsors etc. However I read through the other threads here and I don't think this is out of line. If so I apologise, and mods can delete. I know some of you have bought online (@chikaboo), and its often a cost effective way to go - even with shipping.

So, what are some of the good sites that are affordable even including shipping? So far, the best I've come across is Fish Street Store – Complete high quality Aquarium solutions from Fish Street Store. In particular I've been looking at their "aqua japan" 6xT5 unit. Nice looking fixture and very decent price. Seems like most buyers are happy with the unit on the the US nano-reef site. Aqua Japan 6 Tube 24Inch T5HO Aquarium Lighting

Including shipping:
    Just over R1500 for the 36" Unit,
    Just over R2100 for the 48" Unit.

Apparently both come with 3x10k and 3x20k globes, although from the reviews on the site it has shipped with sub-standard globes before. This doesnt seem to be a huge issue tho. The prices are certainly tempting!

Another site is welcome to deal-express.com, quality cellphones for best prices! - they offer free shipping on everything, but they have very little aquarium supplies (mostly gadgets and junk) and it can take a few months for stuff to get to you!! And they only accept paypal payments.

I've also looked at ali-express, which is a chinese wholesale site and they have some okay-priced oceanson look-alike clones etc, but read some horror reviews of these things melting! I'm sure its better to buy the originals here where you have some backup. Price wise still not close to above...

Anyone else? Reputable e-bay sellers etc?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

@Dane have you ever bought stuff off fish-street?

4. maj

maj

riddi on the forum has bought from fish street with no issues,goods working 100%

5. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

awesome, is scheme i buy a chiller from them... cheaper than 2nd hand...

6. Seabass

Seabass

Tag, always looking for a bargain.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

just remember shipping costs and issues with with back up on larger items.....

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Although I have bought through these international sites I would strongly think twice about big items .... especially electrical ...... I personally never had a problem with any international sellers but what worries me is the back-up services and return policies for warrantee not to mention the return costs to honour the guarantee ..... Mabe our sponsors need to sharpen their pencils a little and let me play both sides of the coin here .... If enough of us create enough demand for a product then our local sponsors can buy in bigger quantities from international suppliers or even source out the manufacturers and in turn offer us better prices .... A WIN WIN situation .... Look I'm not saying that our sponsors must become charitable organisations but the profit margins need to be adjusted .... This hobby has had a bad rep for being an "ëxpensive" hobby but if made more affordable sponsors can create a bigger "local" customer base and have a "lower profit", bigger turnover" situation .... Just some food for thought from both ends of the earth ........

9. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

here here

100% agreed!
    Sell like the Chinese, move volumes to create profit.
    Having a bigger customer base will also help push sales in other departments, take a bit from here and add it to there kind of thing.

Saying that though, i bought equipment from Dorry that was much cheaper than any LFS and it came to my door. :thumbup:I was happy with their service and prices.
    My TS2 was R1000 (not joking) cheaper from Dorry than LFS and i will support them and promote them where possible :p

Little bit off topic:
    IMO Selling on the internet makes a lot more sense,(unless the customer is one of those guys that needs to touch everything before he buys it). You dont require a fancy shop or displays and you can use floor space(like in a warehouse) for storage and buying in bulk. You can also not even hold stock, as long as you have a sharp supplier.

Personally for me i really don't mind waiting 10days for international orders which is pretty standard best i have ever had is 5days from the states.

and 2days for local. Like spot you need a new gadget on the weekend, order it on Monday and it is in the house buy Wednesday... awesome!!!!

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

@chikaboo great point. couple pointers

if u go back 4 to 5 years it was a crazy situation here in sa. skimmers, pumps, reactors etc were not readily available and this hobby was really difficult to get into.

we then had a supplier/s(there are currently only 2 bringing in proper equipment and a 3rd starting up) come in and bring equipment to the hobby. they have stipulated mrrp for all their equipment. this is practised in the states as well in this very same hobby. although i personally do not agree with a mrrp myself its something that is being done to prevent the guy who does not have overheads ect to kill the petshops. as much as we think things are expensive in this country compared to the states think of how many people have marine tanks?
    we are a smalllll reefing community compared to the rest of the world and as such cannot buy in bulk even if we wanted to as how many skimmers,carx reactors, flow pumps can 1 person buy? im sure that the suppliers would love to sell more but the fact remains that sa is too small for us to look as US prices and want the same.

also remember that this is a hobby and any hobby will be expensive.

11. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

No I havent yet. Will probably get the 54 light unit tho. Only in a few months when I have a little more moolah. If I do I will certainly give feedback.

D

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

just a stupid question / remark

Had you EVER bought something directly from the internet? Without ever seeing the product with your own eyes. You never seen it, never saw its actual size, did not handle it? Never walked into a LFS, saw what you want, went home and bought it?

I'm not talking about music. But more in line with marine products.

We as humans do still want to first hold it, then buy it. Want to make sure that whatever I put a few grand down for is what I want.

also, backup, you need it. I had 2 very expensive pumps pack up on me. Manufacturing problem, very good pumps, and not cheap Chinese import either. No problem, just gave them back. Got others.

And LFS have to make a profit, they want to eat as well. And if they do close down? Where you going to get your corals? Fish Food? Blue Green Chromis?

And the more competition, the better for the consumer.

So yes, I strongly believe in supporting your LFS. Even if you feel that they rip you off.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

But surly if it makes it easy to get things great, even better if you can get brands LFS do not stock!

14. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

E-bay has some nice deals if you look around. But I have also burned my fingers with international purchases. I've ordered items for my marine tank on E-bay on three occassions. On two of these I got really nice deals. The third one was also a nice deal initially, but things went wrong when customs got a hold of the shipment. The supplier shipped my order in two different parcels. Customs got a hold of both these parcels and because the shipper indicated that the contents were low value (less than R500), which it was not, Customs levied a penalty of R1,500.00 on each parcel. R3,000 extra in total :eek:. The supplier agreed to pay half of the penalty (R1,500.00), which obviously helped, but the penalties still made my purchase a lot more expensive than planned. I might have well bought the stuff locally... O well, at least it keeps life interesting.

15. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks Jhavenga

16. crispin

crispin

has anyone used sweatec.de yet *sponsor*, they have some great products and prices, just wondering

17. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i want to use them just havnt had time

18. SIMS

SIMS

remember so items have high import duties - I know lighting is 20%

19. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I've never bought marine equipment, but parts for my bikes and cars many times.
    Hell, a few years back I bought a set of almost new fog lights for my BMW from a private seller in Canada. The pair landed here at a 1/4 of the price BMW wanted for 1 unit.

20. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

And that's excluding VAT of 14%

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

@Dane i am keen to order the 6x unit for 39w, maybe we can all share shipping
    it works out to R1200 for light, tax and duties

Recent Posts