Good day

Ray

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ray, I have been itching to start up a tank for years, I have finally decided the time has come but I would like to soak up as much information on the subject before I take the plunge..

Hi Ray, welcome to MASA, you are on the right track, you just can't do enough research before you start, and any question is a good question.;)

Welcome to MASA Ray. You've come to the right place then. Have you started saving yet? ;)

hi ray
welcome to the site

Hey Ray, welcome to MASA.

Ask as many questions as you need to :)

welcometomasa Ray!
you at the right place soak up information.tell us what you planning

Hi guys I have been looking at alot of tanks and quite like the idea of nano tanks but I hear that a beginner should go for something bigger, would you agree with this?? I also have my eye on a corner tank, it is about 250L or so. I live in Northriding in Jhb any syggestions on good dealer where I can purchase my tank from.. Thanks

Corner tanks, while they seem a nice idea, are often difficult to get decent circulation to, and have a small surface area.
I would advise a bigger tank than that if you possibly can, and avoid the corner.

Oh and welcome to MASA, try to hold onto this questioning phase, as long as you can before buying anything, it will be well worth it in the long run.

welcometomasa Ray

Welcome Ray. Yeah go as big as you can. The really nice fishies typically need a larger swimming space than what a nano can provide.

Enjoy your stay and as Bob says, do a hell of a lot of questioning research before purchasing anything. You will save a lot of $$$.

Welcome Ray, you have come to the right place:)

Ask, plan, post your plan, ask again, change your pla, post it again, change it again until you are happy with it:D

Thanks guys, so far I have canned the nano and the corner tank idea, looks like I am going to have to get rid of my tv and put the tank in its place cos that is about the only spot I have really got for it. What tank would you syggest Glass or acrylic. and please if you could assist with the names of two or three stores that I can visit to price and buy a tank.. Thanks

Hi Ray! Welcome to MASA! Good luck with the setting up of your tank! Hope you can find the right choice. Look - there's always the "looking good" factor. I have seen some REALLY nice looking acrylic and even glass tanks (e.g. Jebo, AquaH2O, etc) that have been imported into SA. With wrap-around front glass etc.... BUT, I think it's personal choice. As long as you take the following into consideration:
- for reef tanks, it's always better to go wider (front to back) than too deep.... the deeper the tank, the stronger the lighting needs to be to supply to the lighting needs of the corals.....
- the more water you have in your tank/sump, the better the tank's ability to buffer "for when things could go wrong" - i.e. it takes MUCH longer for the death of eg. a fish, to affect the tank's nutrient levels - pH swings are also not as bad in a tank with MUCH bigger water volume - temperature fluctuations, evaporation, etc. etc. etc.

BUT- you have to think of cost of the glass/acrylic/import cost of the imported tanks....
A plain custom-built glass tank with bracing, might cost you FAR cheaper than an imported factory built tank.... BUT - with a custom tank, you have more flexibality when it comes to closed-loops, or perhaps even lighting, and over-flow design.... where-as, with an imported tank, you could be limited in this sense....

So - there's a lot to go and think about....

Hoped I have not confused you too much!

Good luck in your-tank hunting.

Back
Top Bottom