Good Bye External Canister Filter Hello NO3/PO4 Reactor ??????????

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by MerlinT, 22 Jul 2012.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hey Guys
    Thinking of replacing my EFC(External Filter Cannister) and replacing with N03/PO4 Reactor. Should I, or should I not do this. Currently I use carbon and Phosguard in the EFC but don't know if it is doing any justice. I 've heard that some media require a slow flow as for the media to trap what you want removed. High flow through this media is not all that effective. Will I be succesfull in keeping my tank running without the EFC but only the HOB and Reactor.I have a Chiller running on this EFC at the moment.
    Any views on this?
    Thanks
    M

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have an External Canister with Media...I'm thinking of taking out my stuff and putting in ORCA Bio-cubes and their PHOS remover...maybe I'll still leave in my Purigen...ORCA would work excellent inside the Canister Filter...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=35134

Last edited: 22 Jul 2012
  4. DubKorps

DubKorps

I just did that , and patiently waiting on results..... I bought the hang on MF300 reef oct to run rhowaphos,carbon and purigen, lucky me the reactor is 1litre capacity and rhowa only takes up 150ml for my tank size so plenty space for more media

5. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

So! Am I right by saying that there are certain media that specifically work well in EFC's? Right now I use Phosgaurd and a carbon that I buy from Sam's Aquarium in a clear bottle. I also run Purigen in my HOB.
    M

6. belindamotion

Yes I think so..if you look at the ORCA BOMB...thats my "idea" of high flow...:p...so the ECF should then be perfect to house the Bio-cubes with it's Phos remover and I don't need to get rid of my ECF...or buy a Reactor...:blush:
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=35930

Last edited: 22 Jul 2012
  7. DubKorps

DubKorps

Ok, here's the deal ......

I'm NOT saying its not eficient in a mesh bag in sump BUT ...... All medias actually need slow-medium flow thru them for maximum absorbtion... In a reactor you can set your flow speed for accurated speed:absorbtion ratio ....

In a sump you taking a gamble and most medias will become useless due to varied flow rates....

So imho ..... Personal preference determines efficiency of media

8. belindamotion

I'm not saying put it in the sump...I'm refering to the fact that the BOMB comes across as preforming well in good flow...hence me believing that it should do well in an ECF...where you can also "adjust" the flow...

9. DubKorps

DubKorps

Oh and the carbon in the clear containers with red tops is actually aquamedic carbon they buy in bulk and repack.... Very good longer lasting quality carbon from Sams

10. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

How long can one use it at a time. I usaully change mine every month. By the way my tank is 900x500x450 and is 165Lt.
    M

11. Indrin

Indrin

Hi ,pls dnt use that N03Po4 reacter,its very harmful to thE tank,A good fish tank
    Should not run on chemicals,its unhealthy and it will shock your fiash and corals,If u need any
    Assist dnt hesitate to call 084 894 1882 Endrin,Only learnt from the best

12. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Anymore advice please guys.
    M

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I believe biological is always better than chemical
    On the order should be Mechanical, Biological and then Chemical.

Using only chemical, and you do need to use filter socks to prevent the reactors from blocking up easily. That is 2 extra things to look after in your husbandry routine. Yes, I am lazy, and so will you be eventually as certain tasks just becomes more of a schlep to do than a joy.

What skimmer do you have? Also what is the footprint? And what type of Corals?

Also take into account that softies like pincushions actually prefer dirtier water. And with certain phosphate removers they will struggle. Think about where on the reef the are found. Lower down where all the rubbish from atop rains down on them.

If you cannot fit in a DSB, then rather focus on a small NP reactor.

You cannot replace the EFC. You need to get the new filtering solution up and matured before you can remove that filter. The EFC tends to trap detritus, and that is why they became nitrate factories. So its more work each week as you need to clean it as well.

I'm very fond of my DSB. The smallest DSB in relation to my tank footprint that I run successfully was 33%. Yes, bigger is better. Coincidently, that was a standard Daro 90cm tank with 3 chambers, TS2 DSB and return. But bigger implies more space. Combining a DSB and refugium and you score even more.

Please post a picture of your current sump as that will help a lot in other reefers giving comments that could actually work for you.

Remember, everybody would always justify their method, as they did spend money and time on it. Even if another method is "better".

14. SeanH

SeanH

I must say i was toying with the SIMPLEST idea to run Matrix, Carbon, Purigen etc and I came across this:
    http://www.aquariumaccessories.com.au/All-Products/Biological-Filter-BF-200.html

I removed the ceramic, sponge and heater (it came with one built in) and replaced the heater section with Carbon so as the water come sit it goes through the carbon, then over and through the Matrix and Purigen and then under and up and out the 3rd section. So far so good. It runs @ 500lph which is a good rate and it sits in the front of my sump - has a top cover and EASY to get to everything and clean!!

This sits INSIDE the sump so no overhang or space issues! Very neat i must say.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2012
  15. DubKorps

DubKorps

then you may aswell go even easiest route guys been using over the years including me... the aquaclear range of hang on(waterfall) filters..just stack medias one above the other and bobs ur uncle;)

Recent Posts