Good Bye Everyone

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by viper357, 9 May 2008.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

This is the last straw for me, I'm outta here, by the end of the year I will be logging in from the UK.

Taken from our local newspaper www.witness.co.za

City to turn off home geysers

Load shedding is gone for now, but what other tricks has Eskom got up its sleeve to make consumers use less electricity?

Pietermaritzburg consumers should prepare to have their geysers switched off by the municipality from a central point, and have their ampere usage slashed in the same way, when extra electricity capacity is required.

Big buildings, business and industry will be given targets to achieve and maintain, or face punitive charges, and new builders should forget about installing an electric geyser.

Phil Mashoko, strategic executive manager of infrastructure, services and facilities at Msunduzi, said yesterday these are some of the strategies they have come up with to try to reduce the city’s power consumption.

"We have no choice," said Mashoko.

He said a contract has been awarded to a company to install the remote switching technology on geysers. Mashoko said the project, funded by Eskom, will entail the contractor fitting each geyser with a ripple control switch to allow the municipality to switch off geysers by remote control at a central point. The implementation date has not yet been set.

According to eThekwini Metro, the devices to be used in KZN allow municipalities to also turn off air-conditioners and other appliances like pool pumps. "Personally I don’t like that option," admitted Mashoko.

He said the method of saving power he prefers is current limiting, which means the municipality could reduce the amount of electricity supplied to consumers when necessary. He said a bid notice has already been placed for service providers to come up with suggestions on how this could be done. This contract will include reading water and light meters remotely as well.

Mashoko said that if a household has a 60-amp capacity, this could be charged to 30 amps from a central point, if required, to limit the amount of electricity customers could use.

Another energy-saving option being examined by the municipality is the mandatory installation of solar-powered geysers in all new buildings. Mashoko said they are looking at reviewing the bylaws in this regard.

He warned that public buildings will be targeted to lead the way in terms of energy efficiency.

"So government buildings and council buildings will be among the first to be given targets to stick to." He said the municipality is busy working out targets for buildings, businesses and industry.

"The large consumers will be given energy targets to achieve and will be monitored to see how they maintain them."

Mashoko said an open meeting is to be held within two weeks to discuss these energy-saving methods. He said that in the meantime, if load shedding is required by Eskom, the municipality will revert to the timetable that was last used.

He said that at a meeting between Eskom and the top 10 municipalities it was agreed that they all need common targets for energy saving.

A list of questions sent to Eskom asking them to provide feedback on this meeting and for them to quantify savings was returned with the comment that "the meeting was positive" and that details would be released to the media at a later stage.

Mashoko said while Msunduzi achieved a definite reduction for the March period, this still has to be analysed to see how much of this was due to load shedding, and how much was caused by people conserving energy.

"I know for sure that some of the big consumers have displayed significant cuts in terms of their energy consumption …" he said.

But he warned that a saving of over 10% is needed, plus more to avoid future load shedding.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

laugh or cry,which one?

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Ripple relays are not new, infact Durban used them yrs ago and then stopped. They are now re installing them, rather that than load shedding. A word of advice to everybody when these contractors come to install these relays they must issue a C.O.C. [certificate of compliance] for the switch this is not an optional extra. Dont give your insurance companies a loop hole if something does go wrong.

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry i forgot. :wave2:

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

wonder whats gonna happen here at Windemere Holiday Apartments,we've got a central boiling system rather than individual gysers.the whole damn building is gonna be turned off.and one of our ways of trying to conserve energy for years is by only running 2 boilers and switching the third one on only when the building is filled to capacity to cope with the high water consumption.

7. cybervic

cybervic

Well what about a LFS. They need to use a certain amount of power for lights and pumps and heaters. Nothing they can really do about it. We already use central heating and have insulated the aquarium rooms.

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

guys this is nothing new... we have it here in CPT as well.... works great and i always have hot water :D

9. Muz

Muz

I agree with Henk.. I don't remember to switch off my geyser for 2 or 3 hours a day when it is not in use.. if they wanna do that for me so I save money that is fine by me.. it is when they cut the power during the day when I am working that sucks.

Last edited: 9 May 2008
  10. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

It's allright for you lot saying good bye - i'm gonna have to put up with him moaning from now on:razz:

11. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

This is the beginning of a communist regime, I take serious offence when a government tries to tell me when I can or can't have a bath. It might be ok if you live by yourself, but a family of 4 uses a lot of hot water, this government is dictating the way we live our lives. I will not stand for it, call me a coward, call me what you will, I am running away, soon I will be in civilisation and will be able to go for evening walks without fear of being robbed, mugged, stabbed, murdered and raped. See ya :D

12. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

I call you the guy with the brass gonads.

It's one hell of a move. Not for the faint hearted.

13. DragonReef

DragonReef

You keep telling yourself that fatso..

14. Muz

Muz

I am running away, soon I will be in civilisation and will be able to go for evening walks without fear of being robbed, mugged, stabbed, murdered and raped. See ya :D

Yip.. nobody in the UK gets robbed, stabbed or raped ! it's all peachy over there.. enjoy the move ! keep it real and post some pics when you get your tank up !

15. LikesFish

LikesFish

Ripple control is actually something that is widely in use throughout the world as a sensible means to control current usage during the day. It is nothing new. And a whole lot better than having NO power for 4 hours per day. So I'd say it is a step up.

If you view electricity the same as petrol or milk for that matter - your opinion will have to change. It would be silly to say "I am leaving for another country because this week I went to 4 shops and they all were out of milk/petrol.". Eskom just does not have the capacity (for various reasons already discussed) to deliver maximum current capacity to ALL households/industries/businesses anymore. So the solution is to perform load shedding. The other alternative is place a limit on how much energy you can use. Like with ripple control. Electricity is a limited commodity - just like petrol and almost everything else. Placing limits on usage makes sense, we are living in the 21st century with more than 6 billion people on the planet - sooner or later the natural resources will not keep up with the demand. Just like you try to use energy savers for lighting your house in order to save some on the electricity bill, this is just another way to cut down unnecessary usage.

A geyser's water will stay warm for quite a while - if you ask me it will make no practical impact on consumers, but will help with the two daily peaks.

16. Andreas

Andreas

the electricity issue is one of no planning and incompetent people getting the positions, bonuses etc.

just sitting back and saying well so many more people have been given access to electricity is rubbish. the knew that something was wrong and just didn't seem to mind and now they want to throw ridiculous increases our way!

it would've been much more acceptable if they had increased the electricity on a smaller portion over a period of time and then invest in new powerstations etc.

the problem we are sitting here with is people who are not competent enough to do the work.typical

17. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Let him dream fella:whistling:

18. LikesFish

LikesFish

Like I said - it does not matter what brought SA to this position, what matters is how to handle the situation until enough generation capacity can be supplied once again. In that mean time there will be sacrifices.

19. seank

seank

Just don't pull a great Trek move here and leave with my stuff, then you'll be called a mugger/robber....:lol::lol:

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

Viper, that is horrible to hear but is a reality in RSA. Good Luck if you leave, and remember you are always welcome back.

21. seank

seank

Man, he'll never leave the good R.. S.. of A. He is like old furniture here. Make like us, shower in cold water, get used to it, and if Government comes around to change the Geyser onto a timer or whatever, you sommer give them the Geyser Complete and tell them where to shove it (Mind you, I think there is already a couple of Petrol pumps shoved up there):biggrin:

Recent Posts