GOOD Base or Live rock

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Schalkdk, 26 Mar 2010.

1. Schalkdk

Schalkdk

Hi boys and girls.
    I'm not to sure where I should post this but I suppose here is as good as any.:helpsmilie:
    I’m starting a new tank soon and I was wondering if someone in the Durban area have some GOOD Base or Live rock that I can score :support:from them. It’s only a 220l tank so I don’t need a lot but the LFS is a complete rip-off. :cursing:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Talk to the guys at the reef meetings - maybe someone can help you out ;)

4. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

I did, but we only had a handful guys attending last night and the meetings is only once a month. I hope to have better luck on the site..

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Schalk, when you going to post some pics of that rock you've made?

6. lIghty

lIghty

Ye, I'm really interested!;)

7. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

Hi guys. I have taken some pix, Ill post them later today or tonight. The rock came out cool but it takes a long time to cure the cement. 8 weeks apparently and tons of water.

8. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

Okay guys these Pix came out KAK! I'm No Photographer But I’m sure you’ll get the idea.

I start with a Container with sand to make the mould. Dump some mix in and then some Sand to make caves or over hangs and more mix. And so on…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These rocks sill need to be soaked in water to dissolve all the salt.
    So let me know what you think!

9. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

[​IMG]

10. vatso

vatso

How did you make this? what did you use step by step please :)

11. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

Okay firstly, PLEASE don’t crucify me if I used something that I shouldn’t have. I'm new to this Hobby and I basically just do the research on the web and I follow it as close as I can.

The actual mix will depend on how thin you want to make some of the sections and your local humidity.

This is what I used.

2 part coarse coral grid. (This can be substituted with Oyster grid, Aragonite Reef Sand (Bloody expensive))
    1 Reggies play sand.
    2 parts white Pool cement, you can use normal Grey but it looks KAK.

1 part Pool Salt as coarse as you can get. (This can be substituted with (Don’t laugh):lol::lol: Crushed Macaroni, Spaghetti. Or even Rice crispies) The idea is that when you soak it for the 6 to 8 weeks for the curing, this part of the mixture dissolve in to the water, Leaving Thousands of small cavities in your rock. Be sure to add and mix this part last. Or it will dissolve too fast.

Make a shape in your sand bin.
    Mix the sand, coral and cement with water (Not to much but a little on the wet side)
    Just before you start to fill your mould add the Dissolving Part. (When you keep some in your hand and make a fist, it should stay in one piece and not crumble)

Remember every ware you put sand you will have a cavity if you can shake the sand out when the rock dry.

12. vatso

vatso

I thinks it's a brilliant idea by the way @ R150 per KG of live rock this could be a huge money saver for the amount of rock needed. I still say one needs live rock but this could be a great base & one could have fun making it as well!

what do you think it's costing per KG?

13. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Looks bloody good, Schalk.
    Well done.

If I dont come right with rocks from some of my "buddies" , I'm going to go the same route

14. Andreas

Andreas

Some very interesting shapes you've got there Schalk. Well done:thumbup:Unfortunately decent live rock isn't cheap and it will take you a while to collect some nice pieces:(

15. lIghty

lIghty

Looks good Schalk:)

16. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I'm thinking of making two custom rocks that can envelop the 2 AquaMedic Ocean Prop pumps I've bought.
    I dont like the look of this big black pumps stuck on the side glass inside a tank - been wondering how to hide them.

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Schalk - absolutely NOTHING wrong with your "formula" nor with the substitute "hole makers" ;)! LOL!

Looks super awesome mate!

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

When i was playing around with rock making in the late mid 90's we used plaster of Paris, Calcium cattle feed, Calcium carbonate granules. Only issue is to keep out an eye for the ALK.

Did you get your inspiration from garf.org ?

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

So why did i stop making my artificial live rock?

Well calcium cattle feed, Calcium carbonate and cement of any nature is mined from non sustainable sources. In other words "GREEN" the mining process to remove these minerals cannot and will never be replaced. we are destroying millions of years of our earth to make a few KG cheep base rock.

Live rock on the other hand is totally sustainable, in that it regenerates all the time. Yes, our removal creates an impact, however by working with the environment in a responsible manner there is no reason long term availability to the marine hobbyist should be stopped.

Hmmm... a total ban on LR would change a few filtering concepts?

@Neil H :) sorry to pick on you bud, but you are the resident Geo guru. What is your thinking?

20. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

Sorry Guys I was very busy at work could not log on yesterday.:banghead:
    I would use a Cardboard box and some cardboard toilet roll to make the cavity for the pumps. I am planning to do the same thing.
    jacquesb, Thanks mate. :thumbup:
    Nemos Janitor, Yes your opinion about non-sustainable sources might be true:iagree:, and everyone could help. However, I feel the 5 Kg of Cement I use is not going to make a difference on a global scale. I am no builder but I would think it takes hundreds of times more cement to build a POOL not to mention a building or a cement road.
    Live rock might be sustainable but only if you would sell it at the price of gold. Big Hard Corals don’t just grow and die like common garden flowers and at the rate people are stripping reefs I doubt if it would be sustainable for long:nono:.

Recent Posts