Good / Bad Vibrations?

Kryofrozen

My fish have names!
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some advice!

I need to plumb in my new skimmer into my Aquah2O cabinet. There are two options available.

1) Is to remove one of the cabinet doors and go through the front of the cabinet, which will look messy... but hubby is not ok with this idea...
2) Is to drill a 55mm hole into the cabinet itself... I'm not keen on this idea, because I am nervous about drilling into a cabinet that has +- 800kgs of weight bearing down on it! And I'm nervous about the vibrations of the drilling perhaps finding a weak spot on the tank itself - I don't want a burst tank on my hands!

Has anyone, ever drilled a hole in a cabinet with a full tank on top? Would you guys recommend it?

Ideas please!

Cher

I drilled 6 holes through my metal stand while my fully stocked 5ft was on it, and I wasn't gentle, I didn't experience any problems.

What is the cabinet made of? (i would guess wood) assuming you are drilling into the side and not through a corner or support, then no problem whatsoever, you might want to cover the sump and the tank to stop wood chips and sawdust getting into the system, also as you drill hold a vacuum cleaner nossle right near to hoover up and much as you can.
You will not affect the strength and i very much doubt you could rattle any cracks into the tank - if there is a fault in the tank, i would think it would have gone pop by now anyway.

I have drilled 3 holes in a wooden cabinet with +- 1,5 tons sitting up above... :) I never really thought about it like you are, but all went down well!

I seriously depent on where you want to drill the holes on whether it will have an effect.

Through the paneling on the sides wont be a prob as they should not be baearing the load.

And if it is througha leg, unless its really thin legs you should still be fine.

Round holes are very strong as well if the load is from the top

Thanks guys! The drilling (if I am brave enough!) will be done through a side panel which is wood... Now to find the drill bits!

yeah its pretty safe.also drilled my 6ft stand for woodwork while it was filled.try not to shake the drill too much while drilling

Ask any good hardware store for a 60mm holesaw

65475ff40173f79.jpg

they might offer you a spade bit but its a litlle trickier and doubtful whether you would get that size easily

65475ff437e6d72.jpg

Kryo i would still go for a pump feed, that is what these skimmers were designed for it just makes setting the levels far easier and maintenance is far simpler. With regards to the heat the pump puts out check out something like the ATI range of pumps, good water flow with about 40w power used and very well prised.

Hi Guys Kanga - thanks for the pics, now at least I know what I'm looking for! ;) Alan - I will be using the pump feed method, I need to drill the holes for the feed to the pump and the skimmer's 50mm return pipe back to my sump... I'll monitor the heat on the tank when everything is connect and with the aircon on and if the temp still rises too much I'll change to an ATI... My budget is now back to it's original state.... pathetic! So I'll be pinching pennies again until I build my new reef set-up.... The story of every reefer's life...

Back
Top Bottom