Good advise for GHA problems

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Reaper, 10 Dec 2014.

1. Reaper

Reaper

Hi all,

After having had a fairly bad GHA bloom, I did some research and found this topic, which I found really helpful and informative. It confirms the point that the cause of the problem should be addressed, rather than opting for a quick fix.

Green Hair Algae by Stephen Hopple - Reefkeeping.com

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rookie

Rookie

Agreed! I had a gha issue and with a lot of help from users here got it sorted. Mine was mainly due to detritus settlement on rocks as a result of poor pump placement and detritus build up in my filter floss as i didnt change it regularly enough.

Tell us more about your system and what your maintenance routine is and I am sure that someone will be able to help.

4. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

@Rookie - I have a Boyu TL550 (see my signature for my thread), which I modified to accommodate a 60 liter sump. I had my whole setup wrong - same problems as yours: detritus buildup on lr and substrate.

Now my lr is positioned in such a manner that there's flow over and around them, almost zero detritus that settles on the substrate, plus the pumps actually stir the aragonite a bit to ensure there's some agitation on the surface.

Also, the sump has still the old Boyu skimmer (which I will replace with a Red Devil Nano as soon as I can), with the little uv sterilizer that came with the tank. Second compartment is filter floss, sponges, ceramic balls and lr (all the other stuff will come out when I have enough lr), as well as a small ball of chaeto. 3rd chamber is the return pump and algae scrubber.

There is still a little bit of GHA on the plastic back panel of the setup, but I can see these are slowing being reduced.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Rookie

Rookie

Well looks like you have everything under control. I started out with a two foot daro tank. I built a 3 chamber sump on the one side which had filter floss, liverock, seachem matrix and purigen. The matrix works very well. Maybe you can have a look at replacing the ceramic rings with that. Your new scaping look good!

6. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Oh yes, I have Matrix in there also. Forgot about that lol

Recent Posts