Goniopowder

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tekkengal, 30 Oct 2012.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Just thought that I would keep a thread going for those that are interested in this food and for my purposes of seeing how my coral fares. I started feeding this food about a week ago and the pics in this post are taken are after it was fed about 4 times with goniopowder.
    Also, please excuse the pics that follow, they are taken with a camera phone and the coral is housed in a tank that is heavily fed so there is some cyano coming through in the pics :blush:

A bit of background:
    I bought the coral in June, a relatively healthy specimen (good polyp extention and no damage to the coral itself). I think I may have damaged it a bit when bringing it home because it caught a bit of brown jelly diesease and lost a small section to it.
    I feed daily (sometimes skip a day) and up until now have been feeding it Brightwell Aquatics Zooplankton. It has a good feeding response to this food, catching the small particles in its tentacles and then putting it in its mouth (I call it the "licky fingers" motion :lol:).
    Every second day I add a drop of iron and manganese to the tank as well as 2 drops of vitamin C (coral kept in a 37l tank).

The present:
    Coral fully extended:
    [​IMG]

After lights on and can see where the damage has occured:
    [​IMG]

New polyps growing (so I must have been doing something right up until now :lol:)
    [​IMG]

The Goniopowder food mixed and waiting to settle before target feeding. I feed with a syringe (blow a cloud of food over and around the coral, a bit hard to take a pic doing this so use your imagination...:tt2:)
    [​IMG]

Currently it is not a very happy coral with this food, its polyps receed and does not do the "licky fingers" motion as before.
    [​IMG]

I'm waiting for new stock of the Brightwell Aquatics food to come in so that I can do a comparison between the two feeding responses, maybe upload a youtube vid of the differences. Will continue feeding for another two months before reverting fully to the original food if I notice that this coral does not react well with it.

I am also keen to see what the other people think of this product and what their experiences have been so far. :)

viper357 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's interesting. Curious to see how it goes with further feedings. The videos would be a great help.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Well done! Not sure if you've read this T, great read. The Goni is looking great!:thumbup:

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. Hails

Hails

Looking amazing! Please keep us updated on the response to the new food when you try it :)

7. mytank

mytank

Super interested in this as I have three of them and would hate to see them die!

8. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Nice Thread Tek

9. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

I agree, comparing the different feeding responses will help!

Thanks, Carlos! I have read that and appreciate you posting it, it is a very good article and reading it again made me find some other links that I think will be relevant to this thread. I will put them up in a bit :)

Thanks Hails and Lanzo! :D

I know how you feel! You had a pink/red one as well, if I am correct?

10. tekkengal

One of the articles that I have read regarding feeding of gonioporas is that they feed at night. I find it a little hard to imagine since mine retracts at night all the way into the corallite only to emerge the next day when there is a light source.
    Anyone else feed their goniopora at night?

Article that I am referring to:
    http://www.fishdomain.com/article_goniopora1.shtml

11. crispin

crispin

i am not sure if the lack of feeding responce is solely food related. it looks like that might be a flat worm in the pic and perhaps you have an infestation thats worrying the coral. Have a look at night with a torch, it might reveal something.

12. tekkengal

Thanks for the input :)
    It is some sort of flat worm but it has not touched any of the coral in the tank. The ones that you see are on the glass eating the algae that is on the glass. I'm not really keen on nuking them if they are not troubling any of the coral but if you suggest that it might be necessary then I will reconsider :)

The goni always contracts its polyps like that when fed goniopowder whereas with the brightwell aquatics food the coral did not deflate in that manner and brought the food to its mouth. I'm just waiting to receive the brightwell aquatics zooplankton. I will upload vids of the different feeding responses for it to be better seen.
    ;)

13. mytank

mytank

I know how you feel! You had a pink/red one as well, if I am correct?[/QUOTE]

Yup I have a red and yellow one here is a pic [​IMG]

14. mytank

mytank

Yup I have a red and yellow one here is a pic [​IMG][/QUOTE]

And I have a green one with pink centers [​IMG]

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

16. crispin

crispin

wow beautiful coral mytank :)

17. tekkengal

@mytank
    wow, they are stunning!!! :drool5:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. mytank

mytank

Thanks guys

19. pom

pom

Hi Guys, I am quite new to the whole marine thing but I think I saw in my searches for my goniopora on the internet I saw that mine is actually a Alveopora, same as this one, a close relative to the Goniopora but supposedly a little easier to keep, they almost look the same but the main difference is the number of tentacles, the goni has 24 and the alveopora only has 12.

see this link : Alveopora Goniopora (Flower Pot coral)

I tried to quote the pic with the Alveopora above but I dont know how lol

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  20. Mc

Mc

I also bought some of this stuff over the weekend, hoping for good result.
    If nothing else it looks like a good powder food for coral, also to early to say I have noticed any difference.

21. tekkengal

Hi Mc,
    I would love it if you could also post your coral's responses here as well :)
    Also agree with it being a good powder food for coral, my sun coral loves this!

Recent Posts