Goniopora/ Flowerpot coral

Reaction score
Yes guys you heard right! I want to obtain a Goniopora to test whether my skimmerless tank and a couple of supplements I'm trying will be able to help it flourish.

As such I am looking for people who accidently bought a Goni thinking that they could care for it and now it is not extending like it should - essentially I'm looking for a sick Goni to try and see if my system will help to make it healthy again. Note I don't want one that has reached the brown jelly stage or preferably one without tissue recession.. I just want one that is not extending well and that you can see is probably not going to make it long-term

I'm willing to swop a rock with some Green/ pink star polyps on with about 2 purple zoas for your sick Goni.

Sorry to burst your bubble Megalodon, but once they are already "sick", ie fading , retracting etc the chances of reviving them are almost zero. Reason for this being, because of the slow metabolism, the problem is normally far "older" when we start seeing effects

Thus I doubt if your experiment will work, I would however follow it with interest and dont see the harm in giving it a try....the coral might get chucked anyways at least you will be trying to save it

Moolis had about 20 for sale the other day. Give him a call

are they hard to keep

They are extremely hard to keep... hence the reason I'm testing a few hypotheses that may render them easier too keep - skimmerless tank, turf algae filters (beneath and above tank), above and below tank refuguims - below tank with DSB and certain supplemental elements.

FransSny - I hear you and understand that it may be very difficult, but I would rather try and get one that is just starting to fade, then I know it is the system that is helping it to recover. Also I don't want to go and buy a new healthy one at the LFS as that would just be contributing to them bringing in more when they really should be importing very few, if any of these corals until better methods have been proven to keep them healthy. That is hopefully where I may come in.

FransSny - I hear you and understand that it may be very difficult, but I would rather try and get one that is just starting to fade, then I know it is the system that is helping it to recover. Also I don't want to go and buy a new healthy one at the LFS as that would just be contributing to them bringing in more when they really should be importing very few, if any of these corals until better methods have been proven to keep them healthy. That is hopefully where I may come in.

:thumbup: for your attitude man, dont support LFS's on these corals

Back
Top Bottom