Gomoto Scooter

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Suhayl, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Suhayl

Suhayl

Hi, can anybody tell if these scooters are a good buy. I want to purchase a brand new Gomoto Urban 250. It sells for R8500, so its in my budget.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius

Depends on use and what the reasons are. If you want it to get to work and back, do you sit in traffic, whats your daily fuel consumption, what do you transport with you?

You can save hours in traffic and hundreds in petrol. Although there are some new costs, maintenance, insurance should you choose to get some.

Also some insurance companies increase ie. life insurance premiums when using scooters motorcycles etc.

And obviously you're limited on transport capacity.

IMO its worth it if you'll save allot on fuel, if that's even a problem, and save hours in traffic, again if its a problem, I'd easily pay R8000 for an extra hour in the morning and afternoon of every workday in my life.

4. Suhayl

Suhayl Thread Starter

There is no traffic in Klerksdorp. Home to work no more than 5km., will easily take me 5 minutes. I want to use it mostly for work and than also to get to karate classes, Spar and all around town. I know bikes not safe at all thats why me opted in buying a scooter with would be little safer compared to a superbike. There are many bike accidents around here and that scares me but hell life is about taking risks.

5. pXius

pXius

Sounds like a toy to me than. :lol:

Even though you're not going fast you are very exposed and your risk lies with non cautious car drivers, so still dangerous.

If you need some cheap economical transport its great, but if you already have a car as primary, I would stick to that.

6. Suhayl

Suhayl Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, my head is set on the Gomoto Urban 150cc.

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Personally i would rather take a bike instead of a scooter, you often need to accelerate out of trouble and a scoot often cant manage that. My biggest fear on two wheels is when the traffic starts passing me, then i am no longer in control of the situation. On the bike i generally travel slightly faster than the traffic and that way all my problems lie in front of me so i am in control of the situation at all times. Two wheels is a great way to get around, no traffic hassles, no parking hassles etc. There are 2 things i would strongly suggest if you go this way, first being full face helmet and proper riding kit and the second is getting some professional lessons if you have never ridden before.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude get a proper bike but be a safe rider, as an old bike rider saying goes: "there are bold riders and there are old riders but no old bold riders"

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

With Alan :thumbup:

I so much want a bike but my mother said she'd kill me first.:lol: My father nearly killed himself too many times. He had metal pins in both his legs, that is now holes and lots more but then again he was a die hard biker and was all about speed.

Prob not making it easier for you to consider getting a bike.

A bike is nice especially in traffic but protection is the most important thing to consider when getting on one. Like Ziyaad said be a safe rider.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  10. Suhayl

Suhayl Thread Starter

Whats a big bike than? BMW 1200GS. Those big bikes scrares me and me not at all into superbikes.

11. Alan

Nah, look at the 600cc range, plenty to choose from there. The ones i like in that range are the kawa Versys, there is a new honda XR 600 out and my personal favourite in that size is the Triumph Street Triple. None of these are sport bikes but all very capable machines. If it were me i would look at a good used Versys or Triumph Street triple. This all depends on your budget and how seriously you want to get into biking. There is nothing wrong with a smaller bike like the Gomoto just know there are draw backs to the smaller cc bikes. It also depends on your intended usage, Town driving Gomoto is perfect, open road riding could be trouble.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  12. Suhayl

Suhayl Thread Starter

Man those bikes a way over my budget. How about a Honda E Storm as a starter bike? I can get also an old school Honda CD200. The E Storm selling for R7000 and the CD 200 for R5000. I heard those Cd 200 hard as nails and will run forever.

13. Alan

CD 200 if in good nick would be a good buy, otherwise the e storm is an excellent choice for a commuter. I would rather go for a well known name brand like Honda as service and parts will be readily available.

14. Suhayl

Suhayl Thread Starter

I got pics of the bikes. The E strom like new condition and the CD200 a 1998 model. CD200 was serviced a month back and looks cosmeticaly in good condition. The fuel tank has dent and the seat has a tear. What bike do you ride at the moment Alan?

Recent Posts