Goldies (Anthias)

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Nur, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Nur

Nur Starz

Hi, i recently purchased some goldies and they are doing great, eating and everything.

My gripe is that at first i had 1 male and 4 females, the females paired up and the male was on his own.
    So i thought it was because of the even number of females this happened. So i got another female.

Still no luck, they're not schooling. what could be the reason for this?
    At the LFS the were schooling just fine..

Thanks in advance for constructive assistance.

Nur

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

you are aware that they can change sex ;)

They just need time to sort themselves out.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2012
  4. mytank

mytank

They don't always school, also how long has the male been a male? If you had one male and four females (5 fish) and added another female you now have 6 fish even numbers again :)

I agree give it a few weeks for them to settle when you see the male doing some mock fighting (swims up to the females and then pulls away) you know they getting closer ;)

5. mytank

mytank

Just a little other tip, if you want their colors to look great feed them some Red Plankton mine love it and have colored up really nicely!

6. Wes

Wes

females should school together, males, i've found, are lone rangers chat to @Helga she has some really good speciments with experience on the males and females.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

Fully aware of this, but i though because there is a male present and dose display dominant tendencies that everything was sorted. Can a male then turn into a female if one of the females turn into a male?
    That is going on the assumption that there can only be one dominant male in the tank.

Thanks for your reply.

8. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

i had 4 females before (even number of females) now 5 females (uneven)

thanks, i'm feeding this once a day. They do look great and are healthy too. hopefully they sort themselves out.

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Yes they can turn male to female and female to male all depending on their donimence. Brian Ring spoke of this at the expo.;)

10. DubKorps

DubKorps

cant tank size affect it? maybe too much diferent terrotories to claim,maybe some more will school in a large tank? just my 2c

11. brentv

brentv

Hey Bud,
    Most of the guys advice is right, give them time and the Male will start looking after his little Harem!

I had about 8 goldies in my tank all female, with one that was starting to turn Male (Over 2 months!) then added another 8 including 2 males and the half turned female/male changed overnight!!
    There was bickering with the nearly changed male and the 2 others for about a day or 2 then all 3 males are all happy, swim together and look after the 13 females.
    At the beginning I fed mine 2-3 times a day for the first month or 2 then they are down to one feed a day in the arvies all healthy and fat!
    My feeding regime is mainly frozen krill, mysis, marine mix and frozen roe!

12. Ayoob

Ayoob

Your amount of females are 1 to little. I have 9 females that is always together and one male, maybe just give them time to settle as you don't have them to long. Add 1 more females extra if you can just to make it 6 to 1 ratio as I read that is the minimum.

13. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

thanks everyone for the information. @Ayoob will look into it.

14. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

So, my goldies are doing lekker. one of the females seems to be forming a spike on the top fin.
    The Male is still fully clad in the Male color and spiked top fin. They are all very active now.
    I'm not worried coz they eating like pigs and even compete with my tangs for Nori!!??
    Is this normal? Is it ok if they have Nori?

15. brentv

brentv

Nur, Goldies are carnivore mainly and eat plankton in the wild, are the eating the nori or taking it in and spitting out after?
    As long as you are feeding them a plankton style food once a day, it'll be good!
    Mysis, Krill, Brine, fish roe etc will keep there colours the best!

16. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Hi, Goldies stay in a harem with one dominant male, different colour and spine. If the male dies, or gets thrown off of his throne by another goldie, the most dominant female will take over, changing colour and growing the spine. I have not heard about there being a specific number or ratio, if the male is dominant enough he can keep lots of females happy.

17. brentv

brentv

Anita is right, if you dive with them on the reef you will see sometimes a group of just makes hanging out together, don't think there is a hard and fast rule on how many males to females you keep, but reckon as long as you have more females you safe! I have 3 males in my 2,7M, they keep each other colourful by flaring their fins at each other every now and then!
    That one growing the spine is in case of an emergency:tt2:

18. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

Nope Made extra certain yesterday, looked closely and saw they id not spit out.
    I feed Red Plankton and Supershrimp in the Afternoon and Zoo Plankton in the evening.
    Phyto Plankton in the morning. I think the Plankton is Sorted. they still eat any flakes i throw in Green or Red and wack the Nori.

Anita, it seeems the Current Male does keep all the others in check at the moment,
    maybe it is as Brent says, there is a female that sticks with the new male all the time and the original male still keeps them in order.
    I gues time will tell, i wonder if they can stop changing to male once they have started?

thanks for the comments, i'm just chuffed they all healthy and eating :thumbup:

19. brentv

brentv

@Nur they can stay in limbo, half changed for years;)

20. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

So the one female will just have a better hair do than the rest :lol:

Recent Posts