Goldhead goby

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by maj, 26 Dec 2009.

1. maj

maj

I bought a juvi goldhead goby earlier this week,i drip acclimatised him,he seemed all good.
    when i placed him in the tank few hours later,he went into hiding and hardly ever saw him,when i did search i would find him embedded into the sand under a rock,never saw him sifting thru the sand or moving much.
    tried target feeding him,still never ate.
    this morning i saw him sittin on one spot for few hours,then i tried moving him he just floated around the tank with the flow,still breathing.
    placed him in my sump and he just floated at the top,still breathin very shallow.

what could be wrong with the guy?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Placed him in the tank a FEW HOURS later? How long did you drip him for?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lIghty

lIghty

Tell us more about the system, how long has it been running? water parameters? etc

5. maj

maj Thread Starter

params wer all fine......too late tho he died this morning.
    i dripped acclimatised the goby for 2-3 hours.

sad mystery this....

6. Falcon

Falcon

hmm too long in my opinion-half an hour to 45min max or else you run the risk of having diff temps in the container/tank which is probaly worse than a salinity spike.

dont stress too much though as it may not have been your fault sometimes fish just come in too stressed/starved before we even get them...or they were not caught correctly ie with drugs or if from deeper water then not decompressed properly so everything inside was already bleeding.
    it happens to all of us sometimes:(

7. maj

maj Thread Starter

its so sad,esp since all the params wer fine.
    iv been told it happens...damn PITA

thnks falcon

8. Falcon

Falcon

you know what ive had three regal tangs so far in my tanks from day one and always done the same acclimatisation etc but the first two simply did not make it.....after a week max they died.

now a few months ago i got one from my lfs but he first quarantined it for a few weeks and its doing great in my same tank which just tells me that the first two were not my fault as i done things exactly the same and everything was in order.

dont let it get you down,unfortunately it is a costly exercise.

9. maj

maj Thread Starter

sorry to hear dude,that was really costly for u...but that seems to be part and parcel of the reefer game!!
    still a very rewarding hobby!!

10. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Really not nice to loose fish.. It really sucks! In my opinion, the faster you get the fish out of the packed the correct way the better. The fish stress to their ultimate in the packed.

I usually try to get home from the LFS quickly after bying fish and place them in the sump and slowly drip tank water in the packets until water parameters are the same. Then place them in the QT with PVC hiding spots, or if you dont QT in the DT. Just make sure that you have enough hiding spots and switch off all the lights as this dramatically destesses them!;)

11. Falcon

Falcon

hehe i had more valuable angel losses within a few days then i can count...try loosing three flame angels...one was killed by a very dominant coral beauty,the second i dont know but seemed to just not eat and withered away and the third brought with it whitespot that killed it and one or two other fish...then there was the majestic that only lasted a day,did not really make it out of the shipping bag too well tried to revive it but it sort of had lack of oxygen it seems and an absolutely beautiful blue face juvenile which ate my euphilias etc but one day after a few months no disease or any thing and eating like a pig but it just died:(

then i sold a huge healthy EATING(very rare to get them to eat!) yellow belly regal angel to attilla and it tore the bag during shipping!he found it with the bag ripped and the water in the polystyrene box!talk about bad luck with angels in the last six years!

but hey one day i'll have my favourite angel and its gonna be healthy and happy: a queen angel.

12. maj

maj Thread Starter

Heavy days...talk about bad luck with pricey fish:(
    How long u been in marines now?im scared of doing the shipping option,feels like u puttin the fish thru torture(but all fish come here via post)
    even when driving form the LFS,i try ti drive as smooth as posible dodging pothole sand speedbumps as to lessen the bumps which will add mor stress

13. Falcon

Falcon

for around six years hey...the first two years was hit and run lol no forums and my lfs just started marines so we were learning together:lol: it was messy to say the least but hey i learnt from my mistakes and after that it pretty much started all falling into place nicely.:) i cant picture having bathwater fish again i think no matter how costly/time consuming it is marines are in my blood for life:p

glad that i got a decent lfs so close to my home,makes it very easy. infact if it wasnt for me walking into this shop one day(to buy malawis lol) and seeing two beautiful addis butterflies i may not have been in marines today.

14. maj

maj Thread Starter

once u go marines.......freshwater will never be the same agen!

im so greatful for these forums.....!!

thnks peeps!

Recent Posts