Golden Pygmy Angel Not Eating

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 11 Nov 2010.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Posted this in my thread, but thought it would be more visible here for some advice.

Have had my Golden Pygmy Angel for 5 days now and its still not eating :(

I have tried frozen brine, frozen mysis, dwarf angel cubes, 2 different ON flakes and Nori...I have started dosing the food with Garlic as well and nothing. It doesnt look at all interested in food.

Normally I wouldnt be to worried about a fish not eating as my tank is mature enough that there is enough life to keep a new inmate sustained until it takes to prepared foods...however the Golden is not living in the rockwork, but prefers to stay up in the corners of the tank away from everything so I doubt it is even finding food itself.

My other angels have chased it a bit, but nothing to serious that it should be stressed or scared to go out and forage for food.

Spoke to my LFS and I think he has the right idea, I need to focus on getting it to expore the tank and leave its corner safety zone...but am not sure how to achieve this. Any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mark put something in the area to make it move out of that corner.. like a piece of glass or something...

4. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

With my CBB, I put some eggcrate down the middle of the tank so he was free of 'pests' for a while to settle in. You could do a combination of this as well as Leslie's suggestion

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Take the other pygmy angels out and cover that cnr with Eggcrate.......please sump the other pygmy angels

6. Achilles

Achilles

"My other angels have chased it a bit" This is very bad for golden pygmys they are shy and if it is hanging in a corner that indicates stress as it does not feel comfortable to explore because it feels it will get attacked.

IF it feels more comfortable it will start eating diatoms and pods and if you can make some live brine shrimp it may go for those- solution is to totally redo your aquascape make lots of caves and if possible add some new quarantined liverock to the tank. IT will not be comfortable when all the other fish have established territories but it.

Mine feeds mainly off the rock it doesnt eat the food i put in but it is fat and healthy so the life in my tank is sufficient to sustain it , you need to get your tank full of microfauna and flora to have success with this species and it must not be bullied. Consider temporarily dividing a portion of the tank where it can explore in peace if aggression doesnt stop.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hectic, i doubt mark will be able to divide the tank But if you are gonna move rocks around it may be a good time to try get the heni out :)

PS: you said you were looking for a challenge, looks like you found it :)

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys...I think we gonna have to go with a rescape of the tank and then as an added precaution sump the other angels for a couple of days until the Golden has settled on a territory and is happy.

Achilles thanks for the input nice to have info from someone else with a Golden Pygmy, also got some input from someone with one on another site so at least I can get an idea of where to go. His eats happily though prepared foods, even though it took a while to take to them.

my tank is not in need of anymore rock though :p It has been running in some form or other for over 2 years (smaller tanks prior to the 6ft set up a year ago) and at present rockwork takes up at least 50% of the tank...in the past I have had no issues with adding new angels as there are plenty of caves and its big enough that they dont have to constantly come in contact with one another Yes they have squabbled for a bit and then that would be that, unfortunately this time the chasing when first introduced has scared the Golden, it hasnt been bothered since the first morning, but still seems to stick to the top of the tank.

9. Submariner

Submariner

These golden pygmy angels are so shy i probably used to get a look at mine maybe once a day at feeding time if was lucky.

They also do not do well in quarantine tanks and need to be added directly to the main display.

I agree move some rocks around and maybe find a rock with a nice hole or overhang and place it near to the corner he is hanging around.

10. Achilles

Achilles

Kunhardt , it is always wise to get some fresh liverock in the tank that has been quarantined for sufficient time and is cured as you add new strains of life that has been depleted by your current aquarium inhabitants every year i add a new 1-2 kg of high quality rock - full of life sponges etc.

Also refugiums are very good for golden pygmy angels they are like mandarins in this regard and prefer to eat diatoms, pods , benthic algae and sponges but they do adapt to aquarium foods success with them requires minimum stress and sufficient life to sustain them while you try to get them trained to eat prepared foods.

Good luck they are stunning fish with the cutest face and worth the effort!

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks again Achilles, I do hope he settles in eventually. I have wanted one for over a year now and am so happy to finally have one, would be destraught if anything happened to it.

I have a dedicated seperate refugium in my sump as I have a mandarin and a 6 line that doesnt seem to like prepared foods all that much. :p

The rock idea sounds good, I added about 10kg to my sump a few months back, maybe an idea to swap that out in a couple months time and work that rock on a cycling process every few months, with selling the old and replacing with new.

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Subs, appreciate the info. :)

Recent Posts