Going to KZN next week.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Annoying, 6 Jun 2010.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey everyone

You guys are propably getting really pissed whith these kind of questions but why not push it a little:whistling:. Haha ok here I go, I don't know a thing about KZN and we are going to Sodwana next weekend. I know that Sodwana is a "no catching beach" but I wan't to know where is some great rockpools close nearby? I also want to get a permit there so can I just tak one out at the local post office there? Also what would be the best way of transport back to Limpopo? I was thinking of using 2x 20L drums to keep all the catchings and a battery powered air pump to keep in the oxygen. I will also have a few drums with saltwater I can replace on the road. OK another question, how do you guys catch the fish? They are so fast, do you guys have a secret, please PM me if you have a secret you don't want everyone to know:p. Please please give me any sugestions as I'm clueless.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Mek? MEEEEK!!!!! Hey Mekaeel!!!!!! Here is a question for you.... :whistling:

4. seank

seank

Mek !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roadblock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herkie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Roadblock? :p

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, I do not know about the catching part, but you need to go prepared. Need 2 nets.

Take heaters, powerhead, thermometer, refractometer, power cord and adaptors with you. Plus flake food. That is just to keep all alive while still there. I done it in December
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=14596

For the way back, yes then use battery airpumps.

Only thing I forgot was the water evaporation that will eventually result in higher SG levels.

7. Adee

Adee

I'm also going down in a couple of weeks to Uvongo....if the sards arrive then unfortunately I'll be then doing what I do best when I'm at the beach.

Annoying...I've brought back fish with a battery operated airpump. I also took extra water and did a bit of a water change about every 3rd of the way. I've caught fish with tiny hooks...have no idea where to start should I have to jump in the water with a net and snorkel.

8. lIghty

lIghty

Unfortunately, you'll have to drive down to St Lucia to be able to collect, anything north of Mission Rock is MPA!

9. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ok so the transport is ok for the fish and stuff, I still want to know best ways of catching fish... Don't think I'm fast enough to catch them with 2 nets:p and a hook and line I don't feel very comfortable with. Also can I get the permit at the local post office?

Thanks lighty will go to little lower rock pools maybe close to Durban... will see;)

10. vatso

vatso

I find the best way is to turn the lights off & then an hour later turn them back on again. I hear the light switch for the sun might be touch to find ;) :lol:

if you dive it should be easy & in a rock pool small enough 2 nets should be okay.

but if you can get someone to take video of you trying :lol:

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ya ya everybody likes the comedian:razz::lol:.

I think thats the only reason why my brother is coming with us... Darn youtube:nono:

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

WOW it's amazing at Sodwana! Did a bit of snorkeling in the rockpools, saw clown tangs,lieutentant tangs,convict tangs(their every where),goldies,puffers, a pair of undulated triggers, picasso triggers, clown triggers, threadfin butterflies, racoon butterflies, heck allot of damsels and gobies and blennies.

I caught:Very small convict tang, a few damsels, a blenny and goby, and the catch of the weekend... A flagfin angelfish!!! This little guy was just swimming around and my brother and I chased it into a rockpool and it just swam perfectly into a very small pool where we caught it. All of the fish are eating and doing great!

Will post pics soon...

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

What a great holiday .... It seems that your'll enjoyed yourselves so much that your'll left the camera behind ......:whistling:

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Haha ya kind of was to scared to take the camera to the beach. I don't have a good reputation with technology and water:lol:... Lets just say my phone went for a bath the previous time. So unfortunetly there is no pics of the fish in buckets and all those stuff but going to take some oics of them tonight.

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Will be waiting .... There's another trick one can use when travelling long distances .... You can take a 2 litre cooldrink bottle cut out the bottom piece and then make a hole in the cap .... insert a airline tube through there long enough to get to your buckets where the livestock is kept ... Then tie the bottle ontop the vehicle with the open/cut part facing forward ... Now as you drive air will collect in the bottle then through the airline and into the buckets providing fresh air to the livestock ..... no need for batteries.... Mine has a fine net as well so as not to let bugs and things into the bottle..... You still need battery pumps for when you stopping for long periods but for the bulk of the journey no need to use the batteries...

16. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

WOW thats an awesome idea!!! Never thaught of that before! Thanks a million will remember that next time.

17. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

DArn it's hard to take pics of new fish but at least I got one clear pic of my new favourite fish:razz:. Here he is:
    [​IMG]

O ya I had a " shocking " experience with a marbled electric ray! I accedentily stepped on the poor thing and it stung me with enough power to give JHB power for a year:whistling:. Hahaha, ok it felt like it...

18. colbar

colbar

Chickaboo that sounds like an awesome idea, but what about the temp. Especially at the moment with all the snow on the Drakensberg?
    Annoying, nice catch there. Looking forward to pics.

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Well done ... Absolutely stunning ...... Awesome catch there bud .... Our coast is teeming with gorgeous fish all year round ... you just have to be at the right time at the right place ..... BTW ... whenever travelling back home to the middle of nowhere and if ever you need to do a fresh water change or need some time out feel free to drop me a line to help you out .... Always willing to help a fellow reefer out .....

colbar I must admit to not really travelling in such weather as we experiencing now but I dont really see a problem as by the time the air is forced into the airstone and mince up I cant see it affecting the water temp so much ... Its not like we adding cold water to the bucket ... BTW I have ome of those fridge/warmer gadgets that go in the car and a 12volt coffee gadget that I suppose I could heat R/O water if really need be but most of the time I usually put my livestock in buckets or big lunch tins like see through bread bins with each lid having an airline in and all go into 90 ltr utility bins ... Then our luggage usually is place around the bins to keep the temp as constant as possible ....

Last edited: 17 Jun 2010
  20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks allot chicka! Always nice to see some great hospitality on the forum:thumbup:. Unfortunetley I really only go to the KZN coast about once every few years, the capes cold water gets more of my families attention:nono:. But nothing can't be changed if you nag a little more:razz:

21. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Those are some great catches, particularly the angel.
    That said, I thought Sodwana was a no catch zone? Has that changed or did you go somewhere outside the NPB area?

Recent Posts