Going on holiday to Ballito, and want to catch some critters for my new tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Lemar, 22 Sep 2008.

1. Lemar

Lemar

hey all

My tank has been circulating for 3 weeks now. Put in 21kg's of LR last Thursday!
    Everything is looking good!
    We are going for a quick break to ballito on wednesday till Sunday :yeahdude: and need some advice
    If I get a permit from post office, what type of critters can I catch (if i get any in the rock pools) for my tank?
    I will also appreciate pic's if possible. And how must i transport them, as it's about a 8 hours drive. Is it actually possible to bring them home alive? Has this been done by anyone?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

What type of 'Critters' you after?

4. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

I don't know, Help??
    I want more of an anemone, invertebrae tank and less fish. Few clownfish, yellow tang, blennies and maybe some more fish that will go with this selection.

So i need critters that will adapt with above? or is it the other way around..
    oi so much to learn still....

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

have a look at the rock pools in durban thread that i started, i am sure you will pick up a few pointers there !!

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah, we talk a lot of stuff in that thread. its best just to see what you find cause you never know, but the pools ahve been a bit pretty fish-less lately

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Since you going to be in Ballito, try Sheffield. Not too far away from Ballito,further north just past Salt Rock.

8. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Hey Mekaeel

We are actually staying in Sheffield Beach... I noticed in the Rock pools in Durbs thread you said there are nice specimans there.
    What is the correct procedure in catching/collecting things and transporting them back to Lichtenburg? I will appreciate the help please...
    And what type of things must i try and get. At this stage I have 21kg's of LR and 2 lonely molly's

9. shan

shan

there are 2 ways i use to bring back stuff from the KZN rock pools

1. is the honey bottle method and 2. is the 10lt square bucket method.

It also depends when you are doing your collecting and when you are coming back

Let me tell you what i do.

I collect a day before i return to GT. I got 2 square 10lt buckets with lids for my waterchange so i take those along. I also take my spare heater, a mains and a battery operated air pump (i have those lying around) with the airstones and a small pump (just because i have it).

Once i collect the critters, i place in the bucket with the airstone and heater. This keeps water temp and air in your now small tank. When i leave the next day, i take out the heater and replace the mains air pump with the battery operated one. I wrap the bucket/s in an old blanket (those cheap R20 ones for the dogs) and drive up.

When i fly, i take 6 honey bottles in one of those stryofoam boxes that keeps your cool drink cool. Place my critters in them and enjoy the faces the gurads at the airport make when you take out a bottle containing a brittle star. those stryofoam boxes do keep the temp. You should also be able to drive up with your critters in honey bottles in a stryofoam box.

most important is your water temp and that there is O2.

but i do not think your tank will be fully cycled as your cycle will start again as from last thursday when you put in that much LR - please check your ammonia and nitrite levels as if you still detect some, you should not be adding any livestock at all

viper357 likes this.
Recent Posts